Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to copy amazon .azw files into my iPad from mac

I've got several Amazon kindle files (.azw or .azw3) files on my Mac that show up inmy Mac's Kindle reader but I can't seem to copy them to my iPad. I tried putting them into Dropbox but they can't be opened on the iPad end. Tried to email them to myself but the attachment won't open in kindle. I've tried to simply drag n drop from the Finder window to my iTunes iPad display but that doesn't work. Tried in iTunes File > Add to Library (cmd-O) and that didn't work. I've done an Internet search of this topic but the responses are from <2009 and no applicable to current operating systems or apps. Amazon's help pages don't provide any info either.

Can someone please provide links to possible solutions on the Internet or your own way of doing this? It's really frustrating trying to move content from a Mac to an iPad and I can't imagine why Apple has made this so difficult. Or at least that's my perception.

I have an iPad 2, 64GB wifi only, running iOS 8.3, My Mac is a late 2012 Mac mini running 10.11 (15A204h) as part of the Appleseed program (yes, I know it's beta and anything that can go wrong will go wrong, but still...), iTunes v. 12.1.2.27

Thanks for any tips or info leading to a resolution.

-Tod

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 8:18 PM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2015 8:28 PM in response to Tod Wicks

It seems AZW files cannot be transferred directly.

Maybe you can find some solutions here:

AZW files do not show on iPad

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208175

Or here:

How to transfer my own azw3 files into iPad Kindle app?

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThrea d=Tx2EVAADPU9F188

Jun 30, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Phil0124

@ Phil0124

Thanks for the links. While the first on wasn't too helpful, the thread on the second one was extremely constructive.

It turns out that all I needed to do was a fairly minor procedure using Calibre to first convert the .azw files into .mobi files, then save them to my HDD. The second part was to email these as attachments to myself, then open the attachments on my iPad, and then select "open in kindle" when tapping the enclosed file. Kindle opens it and it is now part of my device's library.

Ain't technology wonderful, even if you have to discover the right path?

Cheers,

-Tod

ETA: For some reason clicking on the "Correct Answer" link in your response doesn't do anything. <gallic shrug>

Trying to copy amazon .azw files into my iPad from mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.