Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a screen protector prevent anti glare coating from peeling off on retina MacBook?

WI'll a screen protector prevent anti glare coating from peeling off MacBook Pro retina?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 9:15 PM

6 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Saad1992

You may have to contact the maker of the screen protection materials to see what they

believe to be the purpose of their product, since neither we (as fellow Mac users, here)

or they, could determine other conditions such as environmental and others, that may

contribute to some kind of failure in a portable computer's display anti-glare coating.

This company is an example of one you could contact directly to inquire of the suitability

of their product for the purpose(s) you may hope the protector could provide your Mac:

http://www.photodon.com/

Some have anti-bacterial and other protections, some may also provide anti-fungal;

there may be microscopic reasons beyond the ability of a screen protector to prevent

the degradation of screen or coating properties.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 13, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Saad1992

I have the same problem - mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro that just recently started showing the coating issue around the camera. I read in another forum that Apple was recommending users install a screen protector. I find that advice anecdotal at best.I bought a Moshi iVisor Pro (based on Apple store and online recommendations). The screen protector is great. Installs easily, no bubbles. But here is the issue;

I went to lift a corner and adjust the protector - and everywhere it touched the screen, the coating is now delaminating as well. So in essence, I made it worse.I don't really think it's the Visor's fault since the screen was already going bad but just wanted to mention, installing a screen protector is a one-way trip.

Having said that, with the iVisor on, it looks great. There is no indication of screen issues behind it. If you are having the same delamination issues and it's unbearable to look at, installing the iVisor may buy you some time. Plus it's $40 vs. the $700 quote for a screen replacement.

Will a screen protector prevent anti glare coating from peeling off on retina MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.