Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K restarts to a black screen

My brand new iMac 5K starts up normal. I hear the chime. Then the screen goes black.

It will only start when I power it off, then on again. And this happens after every restart. If I restart, I will get the black screen, then I click and hold on the power button, then when it is completely off, I turn it back on, and it will work.

I migrated my old iMac info to my new iMac, so I thought it was from the back up, so I formatted the iMac and started a new clean copy, but the same thing happened.

1. This happens even after a shutdown.

2. I have reset the the System Management Controller (SMC), NVRAM, and nothing happened.

Anyone can help? my new iMac feels so old...

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:09 AM

You have 14 days to return the machine for ANY reason if you bought it from Apple. Take advantage of that!

You also have 90 days of Complimentary AppleCare Support, contact Apple immediately!

7 replies

Jul 19, 2015 10:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I spent 1.5 hours with AppleCare, with both first line and advanced support and they were unable to get this issue resolved. We tried at least a dozen things from simple PRAM resets to reinstallation of the OS and many other things. The machine works perfectly if power down and start it up but will not restart and goes to a blank backlit black screen after the start-up chime on a simple restart command.

Dec 21, 2015 3:46 PM in response to ejpeiker

The Same thing happened to me . I just purchased a Brand new late 2015 imac 5k retina 1tb Fusion and was so excited. Well excitement turned to pure frustatuon. I would like to add this is an 2 exchange in 2 days. I came home placed imac on desk and booted up fine and then allowed the apple update and when the imac restarted it went to a black screen. I pulled powered and everything else. Spent nearly 2 hours with. Apple care with no resolution. Finally gave up and returned it the next morning, very disappointed. I can't explain how bad I felt no one could help me. Not to mention 2 in a row! I'm don't know what to do now. I couldn't bare a 3rd try at another one. 6 hours in the car driving to the store to replace these brand new imacs. Just speechless...

iMac 5K restarts to a black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.