Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing main audio in iMovie 10

What I want to do sounds pretty simple yet neither tutorials from Apple to Lynda.com nor various Youtube clips seem to cover this!

Here is the set-up: shooting with a Digital SLR and external audio recorder. All files correctly imported etc. I then align the external audio with the original audio and want to replace one with the other so that I can then edit and trim as I see fit.

1) If I turn the volume down on the main track and then trim the clip, the new audio isn't locked: in other words I would need to edit all the video first and only at the end replace the audio. This is virtually impossible as I need the 'clap' sound to visually synchronise the audio but the minute I start trimming I loose the synch (aaaarggghh!)

2) Option 2, I tried to detach the original audio (easily done) and then reattach the new audio. Can't seem to be done: you're left with an empty 'blue track' and a linked 'green track'. Re-aaarggghh!

3) Finally – and as an add-on question – I find that synching sound visually is quite crude, I can't seem to get it perfectly right. Is there a way to move either the audio or the video tracks on the timeline frame by frame? I seem to remember that in older version Control Arrow left or right achieved that. Is there a modern equivalent?

Thanks for helping me preserve whatever hair I have left!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), i5 - 16/1024

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 1:21 AM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:23 AM in response to Moscool

1) iMovie does not provide a means to lock audio which is not part of the original media to the video. (In FCP X you can create a compound clip to achieve this).

2) You can only reattach audio that was originally attached to it

3) If you expand the timeline to its maximum (slider above timeline on right) you can move the audio rack in steps of one frame.

I think you would have to remove the existing audio and replace it with the new audio before importing into iMovie. This can apparently be done using Quicktime 7 (see: http://www.mambor.com/animagic/more/colonial/QuickTime%20Player.app/Contents/Res ources/English.lproj/QuickTime%20Player%…)

..though I have neve tried myself

Another possibility would be to share the movie with the new audio to file then re-import that into iMovie. now the new audio will be attached and you will be able to edit. However there may well be a deterioration in video quality.

Geoff.

Replacing main audio in iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.