Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When booting my iMac 27" Retina 5K device to install Windows 7 the kb and mouse are unresponsive in the Windows install screens. The boot device is a USB 2 flash drive.

The Windows install screen displays but I cannot continue because neither my bluetooth keyboard or mouse will work

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 11:40 PM

37 replies

Jun 30, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Loner T

There was an external HD but I removed it. the only USB device is the BCA created flash drive (USB2).

When booting with the Option key held:

I select Windows drive

A banner at the top says booting from BCA created device

A bar appears at the bottom saying Loading Windows files

A Starting Windows screen shows with the Windows logo

A blue screen with no text appears

An Install Windows screen appears with options to select language, keyboard, etc., and click next to continue.

I cannot get past this screen as kb and mouse don't work. I tried a USB keyboard and it also was unresponsive

Jun 30, 2015 6:52 PM in response to Loner T

Here is the report on the USB drive. How do I confirm that it is USB2?

Cruzer:

Product ID: 0x5530

Vendor ID: 0x0781 (SanDisk Corporation)

Version: 2.01

Serial Number: 2005244463141892A628

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: SanDisk

Location ID: 0x14500000 / 1

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 200

Capacity: 32.02 GB (32,015,679,488 bytes)

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk3

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

WININSTALL:

Capacity: 32.02 GB (32,015,678,464 bytes)

Available: 27.66 GB (27,657,011,200 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk3s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/WININSTALL

Content: DOS_FAT_32

Volume UUID: A27DB612-3BF1-36B2-AED1-0F08C0F1F394

Jun 30, 2015 7:33 PM in response to joywh

Please see

User uploaded file

It looks to be a USB2 based on what you have displayed, so far, but the Bus connection is important.

Do you have a wired Apple Keyboard and a wired Apple Mouse?

Are there any other wireless or Bluetooth devices nearby that can interfere?

I have sometimes seen issues with larger USB flash drives. Do you have a 8- or 16 Gb SanDisk USB2? My iMac5K testing was done with this specific USB2.

Jun 30, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Loner T

My first attempt was with a Sandisk Cruzer Fit which is a new 16Gb drive and the packaging bills it as a USB2.0 (I just tried again with that drive - no change)

I do not have a wired Apple KB or mouse although I tried a USB keyboard which the IMac recognized but Windows didn't.

I had an iPhone 4s in my pocket with Bluetooth on but it doesn't interfere with normal iMac operation.

Maybe I will go back to square 1 with Boot Camp and recreate the boot file from the Windows DVD. The version of BCA is 5.1.4 Is that the latest?

Jun 30, 2015 8:16 PM in response to joywh

joywh wrote:

Maybe I will go back to square 1 with Boot Camp and recreate the boot file from the Windows DVD. The version of BCA is 5.1.4 Is that the latest?

Do you have a physical DVD of Windows? If yes, did you Create an ISO image for Boot Camp from a Windows installation DVD - Apple Support and then create the Windows Installer via BCA or did you use the DVD directly to build the USB installer? What type of the external Optical drive was used?

5.1.4 should be the latest. On Yosemite 10.10.4, it is 5.1.4 (500).

Jun 30, 2015 9:39 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, I have a Windows DVD and I just recreated the .iso file and Windows Installer using Boot Camp Asst.

The optical drive is an Apple USB 2.0 Superdrive

Yes, my version of BCA is 5.1.4 (500)

I tried the newly created Installer on the Sandisk Cruzer 16Gb flashdrive. No difference.

Is there a way to initiate the Windows Installation other than booting with the option/alt key and selecting Windows? The very first time it was initiated from BCA and the KB worked in the problem screen, but when I got to the screen where I select the partition to install to I couldn't find the BOOTCAMP partition and I bailed out and shut down. (the BOOTCAMP partition shows that it exists now in Disk Utility but now I cannot get to the screen to select and format it)

Jul 1, 2015 11:16 AM in response to Loner T

I removed the BOOTCAMP partition, recreated it and was able to successfully install Windows 7. The mouse didn't work but the keyboard did. The initial screens were somewhat different than booting straight from the Install drive.

Windows on the iMac looks better than it ever did on my old PC.

Do I need to keep the flash drive in place or will Windows boot from the BOOTCAMP partition?

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance. I am fairly new to the Mac world and still learning.

Bill

When booting my iMac 27" Retina 5K device to install Windows 7 the kb and mouse are unresponsive in the Windows install screens. The boot device is a USB 2 flash drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.