Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Itunes media folder

Installed the newest version of Itunes last week. Running win 7.

Hard drive wipe and I decided to start fresh. Installed Itunes, when it asked where I wanted my media folder I typed D:/.

Went on my merry way, loading new cd's. About 30 cd's into the process, I notice it had put the media folder on the C:/ drive.

The whole purpose was to be able to pull the music back from the D drive if I changed computers or if my C drive failed. So now I need to move the media folder.

I have searched the subject and have noticed the failures and lost media in performing this process.

What is the easiest and safest way to move the folder?

Thank you in advance for the advice. Gary

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:36 AM

3 replies

Jul 1, 2015 1:30 AM in response to turingtest2

Well, a split library is not what I want. I understand the potential problems of having Itunes in program files and the library on another drive. But these potential problems are smaller than the problem of restoring Itunes when I have to format or replace my computer.

If there were an easy way to restore Itunes from my Ipod, then this would not be a problem at all.

What I want to do is to either:

put Itunes and the library on my non main drive, such as D.

or, have Itunes in my program files folder on C and the library on D.

that way if my OS becomes corrupted in some way or I purchase a new computer,

I point Itunes at the D drive or just swap the old drive into the new computer as an auxiliary drive.

Is this possible?

thanks.

Jul 1, 2015 2:52 AM in response to glmoore

The application should normally be installed on the system drive.

The library should be created on a drive with sufficient room for expansion. For SSD systems this is either a large secondary internal or external drive.

If you are starting from scratch shift-start-iTunes so it asks you to choose or create a library, click Create, and create your library at D:\iTunes. If you've already started building your library the the link above should show how you can move it safely to D:\iTunes without breaking any links, With a standard library you can just drag & drop the iTunes folder from one drive to the other, shift-start-iTunes and use the Choose option to connect to it.

You should maintain a backup of your library. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suggested method.

If you have iOS devices the other issue is that by default their backup files will be generated on the system drive. This technique can be used to move the iOS backup data to another locally connected NTFS drive.

Relocate iOS device backups

1. Make a new folder called MobileSync at the root of the drive you want the backup data to live on, e.g. as D:\MobileSync
  2. Use Windows Explorer to move current Backup folder at <SystemDrive>\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup into the folder you just made. If the backup folder is large this may take some time.
  3. To make iTunes look for the data in the new location copy the text below, open a command prompt, right-click to paste in the command, edit the drive letter/path if needed, and then press <Enter>.
    MkLink /J "%AppData%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\MobileSync\Backup"

If you want the backup elsewhere replace D:\MobileSync accordingly.

Note that while this method works for iOS device backups it cannot be used to redirect sections of the media library.

tt2

Moving Itunes media folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.