Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bookmark folders management with safari

Hello guys

I 've some troubles with folders management in bookmarks. In fact I find it's really a pain-in-the-*** to sort the bookmark folders manually in safari's

bookmark side-bar (dunno the english terms for it). Each time I open the "modify window" and try to drag manually a folder (up or down) in the list

it disappear inside the nearest folder where I chose to drop it (the blue line). I hope I'm clear 🙂

The only way I could move a folder is to drop it onto the very first folder (Favorite) and then the folder goes down just below.

This is SO FAR from apple legendary simplicity, its very disturbing for an old user like me. If someone know a simple way to modify the order of folders in this bar,

I take it…

thanks in advance,

and sorry again for my awful English

Greetings from Paris,

Laurent

Mac Pro and MBP (latest)

both Yosemite 10.10.3

Safari 8.0.5

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 3:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Laurent Octone

If you really have Safari 8.0.5 installed, there's an 8.0.6 update available which may help with bookmark folders.

Click your Apple  menu top left in your screen.

From the drop down menu click: App Store

Then select Updates from the App Store menu.

Restart your Mac after the update is installed then try your bookmarks again.

This support article may help as well > Safari 8 (Yosemite): Use bookmarks

Vous êtes anglais est sans faute 🙂

Jun 30, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hello Carolyn,

Thanks for the quick reply. I installed it on MBP but unfortunately I have the same trouble, I drag a folder until the position I want using blue guideline as reference, and then drop it, and its gone in the upper folder. its surprising I'm the only one to have this annoying glitch, or I'm the only one that wanted to

change folder hierarchy 🙂

well I will continue to seek solution about this

thanks anyway

cordially,

Laurent

Jun 30, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Laurent Octone

Might be corrupted preferences.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Finder to the Desktop.

Quit and relaunch Safari then try again.

If that didn't help, move that .plist file back to the Preferences folder.

Jul 8, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Laurent Octone

I had this same problem and it took some time to finally figure it out. You actually can grab the folders and move them within the bookmarks side bar or better hit edit and move them around in the bookmark editing window. For this explanation I will use the editing window. Grab a folder and click and hold while you move it to the desired location. While continuing to hold you will notice the red line and circle at the new location. It is slightly indented to the right. Still holding, move the curser to the left and when you see the line and circle move left and flush up with the other folders release. It works the same way in the bookmarks side bar.

It's kind of a tab thing and not at all intuitive.

Good Luck.

Sep 6, 2015 4:04 PM in response to GHC6720

gesh! thank you GHC6720. i too was dragging a folder and simply making new SUBFOLDERS rather than moving it as a main folder. It is slow to finally move the circle and line to the left-most position. In fact as i dragged left it kept going to my launchpad screen or something. Anyway,,,i got it now. Thank you again.

bookmark folders management with safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.