Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update an external CD/DVD writer?

Hi everyone!

I have an issue with my External CD/DVD Writer. Samsung, TSSTcorps CDDVDW SE-208GB. I've had this as long as my iMac (Dec 2014) and everything worked fine up to now. I thought maybe an update to my writer could help, but I've never even installed anything, just Plugged it in. An update is a risk, it's not an Apple product. Googling didn't help either, other than my writeable CD/DVD's are not supported any more. (??)

So, what I get by trying to make a CD/DVD is this:

The process could not be completed due to an unknown error (Error 536870198) This error message is a translation to the one I get in German

I have made many other CD/DVD's up til now, just can't any more for some reason. Hope someone can help me here 😕

iMac (27", End 2013)

OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.3

Processor 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5

RAM 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Grafic NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 5:59 AM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the fast answer(s)! Looks like my Samsung is the problem. I noticed after this question that my Samsung shows up in the devices area, but light grey and not black as my hard drive is. Error message meaning "Superdrive has failed". I've only had it 6 months, I'll take it back and get a new one. I'll keep you all posted if that was really the problem. Thanks again!

Jul 2, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Beamstein

OK, the CD/DVD writer is defective. Won't even read a normal music CD. I tried using CD and DVD (-R) types as suggested in another discussion, but it wasn't the problem. I also did a PRAM/NVRAM reset as suggested by Apple in yet another discussion to make sure "burning" was allowed. That helped, but still couldn't copy. Long story short: Defctive CD/DVD writer.

Should I update an external CD/DVD writer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.