Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple free apps cost money after restoring and changing ID

Hi,

I initially set up my new ipad with my old mac ID (@mac.com) and downloaded many apps for free from the app store (apps that you receive when purchasing a new iPad such as "Numbers" and "iMovie"). After my iPad wouldn't sync with iTunes, I restored my ipad to the original settings and put in the new ID (@gmail.com) which I also use on my iphone (in order for the iMessages to sync). When I did that, suddenly all the apps I was downloading again- which I initially got for free with the iPad's purchase- cost money because I have already downloaded them for free when I set it up initially with my old mac ID.

I hope this was understood.

I ended up paying for some apps I needed urgently (such as "For Score" app), but I don't want to buy the rest of the apps again (such as apple's Numbers and iMovie to name a few).

Thanks for your help.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:40 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2015 3:10 AM in response to daganasaf

All apps are tied to the account that downloaded them, if you want to redownload your mac.com purchases for free then you will have to log into that account and redownload them via the Purchased tab in the App Store app.

Apps such as Numbers, Pages and iMovie will only be free to download for the account that originally activated that iPad i.e. your mac.com account if that was the account that you originally used. If you use a different account then they will you need to pay to download them

Jun 30, 2015 4:52 AM in response to daganasaf

Purchases are considered final but you can try the 'report a problem' page to contact iTunes Support and see if they will refund or credit you : http://reportaproblem.apple.com

Or you can try contacting iTunes Support via this page : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page, then Purchases, Billing & Redemption

Jun 30, 2015 6:15 AM in response to daganasaf

I Don't think it can be fixed. I had a similar issue. I unknowingly set up two accounts. I had made quite a few purchases of music under both accouts. i descoverd the proble when I tried to use iTunes Match when I got an iPad. I was told by apple support that they could not be combined. They did refund my money for iTunes match but that is all. They were not willing to let me "transfer" my purchases from one account to the other.

PLease let use know how it turns out for you. I would like to know if it is possible at this time.

peace ans good luck.

Apple free apps cost money after restoring and changing ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.