Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after yosemite update, Can't connect to a current Time Machine backup disk.

Receive this message now, after "upgrading" to Yosemite yesterday:

Can't connect to a current Time Machine backup disk."

What happened to the backed up files on the TC that were there yesterday? I backed up to the TC prior to yosemite so that i could go back if found lacking. Now what?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:18 AM

Unfortunately, Yosemite has caused countless Time Machine issues for users, and there is not much that you can do about it.

Try powering off the Time Capsule for a minute and then start it back up

Restart your Mac as well.

It sounds like Yosemite may have started all over again with Time Machine....and hopefully preserved you old backups on another disk.

Try a right-click on the Time Machine icon on the dock

Click on Browse Other Time Machine Disks

See if another disk with backups appears

If yes, click on that disk to see if your old backups are there

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 9:18 AM in response to spalding11

Unfortunately, Yosemite has caused countless Time Machine issues for users, and there is not much that you can do about it.

Try powering off the Time Capsule for a minute and then start it back up

Restart your Mac as well.

It sounds like Yosemite may have started all over again with Time Machine....and hopefully preserved you old backups on another disk.

Try a right-click on the Time Machine icon on the dock

Click on Browse Other Time Machine Disks

See if another disk with backups appears

If yes, click on that disk to see if your old backups are there

Jun 30, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob:

Thanks for your reply. unfortunately, the "upgrade" strikes. Not only are there no files in the TC, but now it is waiting for the first backup? When I click on backup now, I get a message or error saying that the TC is not connected and that I should try again when it is. The only thing I did was download the new OS! I guess I need to disconnect the TC and start all over again. This is not right. Feeling grumpy.

Jun 30, 2015 2:21 PM in response to spalding11

Try click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of your Macs screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Click on Add or Remove Disk

Click on the Time Capsule Disk.....named "Data" unless you have renamed it....to highlight it

Click Remove Disk

Restart your Mac

Open Time Machine Preferences again and click on Select Disk or Add or Remove Disk

Select the Time Capsule

Click Use for Backup

See if backups will begin again.

Time Machine will usually act like it is going to make a whole new complete backup of your Mac, but after a time (this might be an hour or two depending on how much data that you have on the Time Capsule), Time Machine will usually recognize that you have old backups and add to them.

You won't know if this is successful until the backup is completed. Even when the backup is completed, it may take a few hours for Time Machine to completely index everything and display backups correctly.

after yosemite update, Can't connect to a current Time Machine backup disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.