Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I setup an Airport to Expand my network?

I have a DSL modem/ Wireless Router. It is in a far room from where I am, and the signal I get is not that great. I have a 2nd Generation Airport Extreme N Router that I have used before as my main router, but never as my 2nd (Bridged) Router. How do I add it to the network Wirelessly and still have internet connection that I can use, and be able to attach the LaserPrinter that I have as well My connection is a CenturyLink I set the Airport up with no DHCP and NAT, and it connects to the network just fine, but there is no internet or network activity from the airport on... What am I doing wrong? Here is what the network settings are at the moment.

DSL/Router: 192.168.0.1

Computers: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.20

Printers: 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.101

Apple Airport 192.168.0.200

NAS: 192.168.0.34

Everything shows up in the devices attached to the network, but for some reason - the network activity stops at the Apple Router and I am not sure why this is... If I attache the router to the Modem directly it works just fine - as does the wireless from it, but if I disconnect it and move to an area closer to my room/office the activity is gone. Someone please help me...

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Gen)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:15 AM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:44 AM in response to Scorpion2k5

Apple routers cannot work in the way you are trying to use it.. It is not a wireless bridge.. Apple only allows the express to be used in that mode.

So the Extreme must always connect to your modem by ethernet or use a set of homeplug adapters.. which may or may not work..

If you want a wireless bridge you will have to buy one. Apple only make the express and it will not work as repeater at the same time so it is fairly dumb device for the job.

Jun 30, 2015 1:44 PM in response to LaPastenague

I've been using a newer Airport Extreme (a/c) with an old "express" in another room which signaled with a green light meaning, I think, all is well. It also showed up in my Airport Utility on my iMac, too.

Thinking I'd get more speed I replaced the Express which plugged directly into a wall outlet with a newer "N" model which plugs into the wall with an extended cord. The new Express blinks "amber" and apparently cannot connect to the Extreme as the old express did. In the iMac Airport Utility only the Extreme shows up....

Is there something I need to do here or is my best option to take it back and get my money back.

Jun 30, 2015 2:53 PM in response to Pete Kroner

Did you run the configuration "wizard" to set up the new AirPort Express?

If not, this would be a very good thing to do. Post back to let us know what operating system you are using on your Mac or computer if need a few tips. You can also use an iPhone or iPad for the setup if you prefer.

Might be a good idea to start a new post as well, providing full details on what you have tried so far with new Express, what operating system you have, whether you want to use an iPhone or iPad for the setup, etc.

Jun 30, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Pete Kroner

Thinking I'd get more speed I replaced the Express which plugged directly into a wall outlet with a newer "N" model which plugs into the wall with an extended cord.

The speed improvement will only be using the 5ghz network which may or may not be possible..

You can also just pull the duckhead off the old express and use it with extended cord (I am taking you to mean the power cord).

Express uses a standard figure 8 power connector. New or old.

Certainly we are seeing a lot more people having issues with their new express to do the setup.

Do you have ipad or iphone? Try using the iOS version airport utility which is far superior to the later Mac OS X versions.

Make sure the express is reset to factory and it should show up in the wireless under settings.. select it and open the airport utility on the ipad/iphone.

Jun 30, 2015 3:25 PM in response to LaPastenague

I got it....thanks. I tried A.Utility several times on the 10.10.3 with no success....nothing showed except my Extreme.

I went to my iPhone...Settings and it found a new router number but that didn't work and when I went back to my usual Wi-Fi it started to connect with the new express.... in five minutes all was well and the new Express had the green light. Same with my iPad...working well at this time.

Apparently the new iOS does have a better Airport Utility.

I hope to use the 5 ghz network .... but I don't think I have any say over that....?

Thanks Pete

Jun 30, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Pete Kroner

I tried A.Utility several times on the 10.10.3 with no success....nothing showed except my Extreme.

A new Express will not "show up" when you open AirPort Utility. The simplest thing to do is click on AirPort Express under New AirPort Base Station and that will get the setup wizard running.

User uploaded file

Apparently the new iOS does have a better Airport Utility

No question about that.

How Do I setup an Airport to Expand my network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.