Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule connection to MediaCom Net Gear MOCa

I had a MacBook Air (OSx 10.10.3) connected to a wireless Apple Time Capsule and everything worked fine.

Last weekend MediaCom upgraded my TV to TIVO and now Time Capsule no longer connects. I've read many of the Support Community discussions but I'm not technical. One of the posts mentioned a Net Gear. I've confirmed that MediaCom added a Net Gear MOCa to my CISCO box when they installed TIVO.

1. Could this be the problem?

2. If so, is there an easy fix (for a non-technical grandma)?

3. If not, does Apple have a newer product that will work with this Net Gear?

Thank you.

Apple Time Capsule-OTHER, Net Gear MOCa

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:49 AM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Vicki1267

What is the model number of the cisco? What is the model number of the Netgear?

It sounds like they have replaced your TC which was working as router with another box which controls media and sends it over cable.

What you will need to do is factory reset the TC and run it in router mode.

In the most simple terms here is what you need to do.

1. Factory reset the TC.. no files are lost doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

2. With the TC plugged into the main router.. whatever that is.. the Netgear now most likely..

Run the airport utility on your laptop.

When you start the airport utility you will find a (1) after Other WiFi Devices.. click it.

User uploaded file

The airport setup wizard will begin.

User uploaded file

Now what it actually says depends on the setup.. mine has decided to extend an existing airport.. but yours should select to work in bridge to an existing router.. anyway .. although there are some issues with names.. (I would prefer if you kept all names short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric which is not how the airport utility works) just click next and finish the wizard.

It should then work although it may flash amber due to some errors.. these can be fixed..

Please click the airport icon, and take a screenshot of just the area you want.. Command + Shift + 4 and then when you type your reply click the little camera icon in the menu above and include the screenshot which is showing the short summary page.

User uploaded file

From there we can see the issues and suggest fixes or ignore the errors.

Your Yosemite version will look slightly different to mine.. so ignore that.

Jul 2, 2015 6:06 AM in response to LaPastenague

CICSO DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 GATEWAY

NETGEAR MoCA ADAPTER MCA 1001 v2

Factory reset of TC worked as you described. Plugged TC into NETGEAR (there is only one ethernet port on NETGEAR and it had an ethernet cable from it to CISCO so I removed that cable to plug in TC). Ran Airport Utility. Other WiFi Devices showed up. Started Airport Wizard setup. Clicked on Airport icon and took screenshot (at least I heard a "camera" click). There were 3 amber errors. Tried to get to internet to reply to you. Couldn't get Safari open. Noticed WiFi network was not active. Unplugged TC from NETGEAR and plugged back in ethernet cable from NETGEAR to CISCO. Tried to get WiFi going....no luck. Called MediaCom for network help. They had me unplug NETGEAR and restart MAC to refresh IP. No luck. After trying a few things they created a new network and had me restart MAC. Finally got a connection.

I had hoped my screenshot would still be available but clicking on the camera icon above does nothing.

I will try your instructions again but am afraid I'll mess up my WiFi network. Can you tell what I may have done wrong? Thanks.

Jul 2, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Vicki1267

It is very hard as I need to fully understand how the Cisco is setup.

I think you may need to put this in the category.. the washing machine has broken down.. call in the washing machine repairman..

People think you have to know enough about networking to solve all problems yourself.. the true answer is a trained tech can get it all going in 30min.. if the settings are wrong.. but you can spend days of frustration and end up with the network having failed.. so my recommendation is.. call a computer tech support person.

If you want to reinvent wheels.. from square to hexagons.. what I need is screenshots of the setup of the cisco. It should have wireless active on it.. but if not you need to connect by ethernet.. and of course apple leave out ethernet in MBA.. so you will need to buy a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter (assuming your computer is new enough) or USB to ethernet.. please go thunderbolt if you can.

Plug it into the cisco and open the setup in your browser and give me screenshots of its setup.

Then I want you to setup the TC plugged into the cisco not the netgear.. it should be able to work in bridge directly from the cisco..

Leave the Netgear stuff alone.

Time Capsule connection to MediaCom Net Gear MOCa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.