Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Osh Kyrgyzstan location with phone uploads to MAC

OSX Yosemite version 10.10.3

iphone 4s

I uploaded new photos from the phone to my mac. they imported without a date, instead the word osh.and instead of the location where it was taken , the country of Kazygstan appeared.

I deleted them; they were taken in my town.

how did this happen??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 3:52 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2015 8:04 AM in response to PLF

Sometimes there is a transmission error when the location data are retrieved from Apple's database. Import your photos again, and check, if now the locations are read correctly. I recently had a similar problem when photos taken in Antarctica suddenly where shown as located in the tropics. When I imported the photos again the locations were correct.

Jun 30, 2015 1:05 PM in response to léonie

I've done that in the past. It reverted back to Osh the next time I started the compputer again.

Main issue is Apple. No one responded and I have emailed them more than twice with the same questions.

No one else in the support forums has an answer either. I cannot be the only one.

Jun 30, 2015 1:24 PM in response to PLF

PLF wrote:

I've done that in the past. It reverted back to Osh the next time I started the compputer again.

Main issue is Apple. No one responded and I have emailed them more than twice with the same questions.

No one else in the support forums has an answer either. I cannot be the only one.

How hard have you looked (I recollect post in in other threads too)…

Re: my ipad thinks i am in wales

Location services issues like this have been explained on this forums on several occasions.

It is possible that you didn't have a correct location at the time when the photos were taken. Location services doesn't only use GPS - it uses wifi & cellular towers to get a rough approximation before activating GPS. During that time the location can be way off (especially if wifi access points move), you should edit the images to use the correct location if you want accuracy in the metadata.

This explains how the location services behaves…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS. Note how it can take upto 12.5 minutes to get an accurate 'GPS based' location.

As for Apple not responding, it is not clear who you contacted - seek help in an Apple store or via Applecare if you want direct contact.

Jul 1, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Drew Reece

location on my phone is accurate.once uploaded, all uploads state Osh Kyrzagystan, a far cry from any USA location I use.The error is in translating to the MAC.

As for Apple, I contact support directly. Apple store in US is not helpful with MAC out of warranty. This is a software issue since the last upgrade. It's a new problem and a con stant problem for me since February. 2015.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

Osh Kyrgyzstan location with phone uploads to MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.