Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari sets back my cookies preference to "always" each time I close it

I have Safari 7.1.6.

I have set (or rather would like to set) the cookies setting to only accept those from sites I visit but I have just noticed that each time I quit Safari it somehow resets the preference to "always" accept them. What should I do? Open Preferences and quickly change that each time I open Safari? Does anyone have a better idea?

Thank you

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 5:14 AM

Go step by step and test.

1. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

2. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

3. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn off Extensions if any and launch Safari again to test.

Turn on those one by one and test.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 5:14 AM in response to lauranne2408

Go step by step and test.

1. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

2. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

3. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn off Extensions if any and launch Safari again to test.

Turn on those one by one and test.

Jun 30, 2015 6:29 AM in response to lauranne2408

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Jun 30, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Dominic23 and Eric Root

Your answers were helpful I learned things about my mac I couldn't even have imagined,

and now I have a feeling that I was able to "clean" it up a bit...

Unfortunately, despite all I have carefully done, Safari keeps setting back cookies to "always" no matter how many times I choose "only from sites I navigate to."

Jun 30, 2015 10:12 AM in response to lauranne2408

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info in Finder (or just Show Info)

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

☞ Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?

☞ In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?

☞ What is the Modified date?

If you don't have read and write access to the item, change the settings as directed here. Note, however, that if one file has wrong access settings, most likely others do as well. If the item is locked, unlock it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it (command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Jul 1, 2015 8:05 AM in response to lauranne2408

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the same line again.

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the item you moved. If possible, restore it from a backup that predates the problem.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Safari sets back my cookies preference to "always" each time I close it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.