Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Genre items have second line "unknown, unknown" -- what is this trying to show?

All the Genre items on my Nano 7 have a second line showing "Unknown, Unknown". The music has been imported from Windows using CopyTransManager. What I am asking, here, is what is it that the Nano is actually trying to show me on the second lineof the Genre entries? Similarly, all Artist entries have a second line "Unknown". What is the Nano trying to show me here? (I've never actually seen an Ipod music list other than the one, newly bought, I have here.)

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:07 AM

1 reply

Jul 2, 2015 6:38 PM in response to Randy31416

It turns out that the "Unknown" items are counts of the number of albums (for artist) and of albums and artists (for genres). It further seems that the Ipod Nano itself is unable to generate these numbers from the albums loaded into it. Instead, you must install ITunes and use it simply to sync the already-loaded Ipod to get the numbers updated. So I can load stuff from Windows without ITunes, but ITunes still is needed to make the Ipod look nice: 150 megabytes of software to update the counts. I'm pleased with the Nano, but not with this software result.

All Genre items have second line "unknown, unknown" -- what is this trying to show?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.