Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X jumpy video

I just purchased FCPX, I am shooting HD video from a DJI Phantom 3 Drone. I used IMovie and a client suggested FCPX. The video looks perfect i IMovie and very choppy in FCPX. I have seen posts about 'transcoding' and using Apple ProRes no good!

Does HD always play back that way? How come it plays back perfectly on Apple's free iMovie and they can't get it to work on their $300 software? Is it at all possible to get the video to look smooth while editing or not?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 8:46 AM

What are the video settings?

Click the little triangle at the top right of the viewer. Do you have playback set to Better Quality or Better Performance?

Where is the video stored? Internal drive? External? If external, how is it connected?

2 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, thank you so much. I had it set at better performance. Once i changed it 99% of the problem went away. I am totally new to video and editing (I am a professional photographer expanding my horizons so i can offer more to my clients) and it has been a sharp learning curve.

I am traveling so i am editing video from my hard drive but once i get back to my office the end of August I plan to buy a LaCie Thunderbolt drive just for video work.

Final Cut Pro X jumpy video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.