Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the App store ask for a different password when updates are prompted?

Hi All,

I backed-up my fathers iPhone 5 on my computer before setting up his new iPhone 6. When his back-up was completed; i went ahead and restored his new iPhone 6 using his back-up. Again, all this was done using my computer, as my father doesn't have a computer.

After i restored all his settings, photo's, apps, etc... now when an app needs updating, it asks for my password, and not his. Although when going to settings/iiTunes & App Store, Apple ID is under his username. Also, in Settings/iCloud, It's also in his name. When I tried to purchase a new app on his phone, it asks for his password, but it's only when updating his already purchased apps, that it asks for my password.

Any way we could change it when we have it where it prompts for his password and not mine.

Thanks for you time Apple Community.

JF

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:35 AM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2015 7:42 AM in response to johnnyfarah1

The account (and therefore the password that will be asked for) that will be shown in the Updates tab will be the account that downloaded the app. If you restored from your computer's iTunes then it will have picked up the apps from the Apps part of your iTunes library (a backup doesn't contain any store download, the restore looks to pick them up from the library), which presumably were downloaded onto that computer by your account - to get the apps linked to your father's account you can delete them from the phone (which will delete their content) and redownload them via the Purchased tab in its App Store app

(Or delete the apps from your computer's iTunes library, log into his account, redownload them from his account, and re-restore to his backup ; redownloading his apps may tie your computer to his account for 90 days : Manage your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support.)

Why does the App store ask for a different password when updates are prompted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.