Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook faulty, weird symtoms

So I have a Macbook pro mid 2012 15inch and it has a lot of weird stuff going on. Recently I did a full clean and re install of Yosemite in hope it would clear up some of these problems but it didn't which is leading me to believe the problems maybe hardware based?

- the mac freezes time to time, the power button wont turn it off and the only way to reset it is by unscrewing the bottom and disconnecting the battery.

- sometimes even after disconnecting the battery it wont turn back on and then i have to disconnect the hard drive for a few seconds and usually taht brings it back to life.

- If the mac is fully charged and i turn it off, it wont power on unless its hooked to the charger, which then instantly triggers the start up, no charger no turn on even with a battery at 100%... Ive done checks and my battery is still in good condition and still lasts almost as long as when it was new.

- every now and then some keys stop working, usually (qwertyuiop) the top row.. this happens very sporadically and sometimes turning off and disconnecting the battery and hard drive works in brining them back to life.

I want to

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:32 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2015 9:35 AM in response to pip_kerr

sorry i pressed post by accident...

I wanted to spend some money doing this mac up, like upgrading the ram and sticking in a solid state hard drive, but obviously i dont want to spend the money if it is going to be constantly unreliable. I use the laptop for music production and dj'n so I need it to be reliable...

any info on what is happening would be great thanks!

🙂

Jun 30, 2015 10:22 AM in response to pip_kerr

Run an Apple Hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is nor definitive.

You should not have to be doing all of those disconnects and connects with your MBP. I would urge you to make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free evaluation. At the very least you should get a good idea of what hardware problems exist and be able to make some informed decisions.

Ciao.

Jun 30, 2015 4:11 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the reply. I took it into apple and explained everything I wrote here... They performed a hardware test in front of me and everything came up clear. I told them something was definitely up so they kept it over night and the next day told me it was fine. Obviously none of the symtoms listed above happened whilst in their care. :/

Jul 1, 2015 1:37 AM in response to pip_kerr

The keyboard problems sound like it needs replacing. Using a plug in USB keyboard would verify that that is the problem. That could also be the problem with the power button since it's electrically on the same "membrane" under the keyboard.

Can't figure a way that a faulty power/keyboard trace would cause a freeze.

Is this a Retina? Then it would be included in the recall:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

"so they kept it over night and the next day told me it was fine."

So they didn't experience the freezing? If that didn't happen to them then your MBP would have passed their ASD test and they would have no way of knowing.

Here's a list:

http://www.dannydullin.com/apple-service-diagnostic-asd-reference-list/

A Mac tech friend of mine ran my clients computer through the ASD before it finally kicked out the GPU error code after 4 hours. She took that code to the Apple store and they replaced her logic board free under the recall. This was the GPU recall of 6 years ago.

Macbook faulty, weird symtoms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.