Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon Jetpack, Airport Express & Airport Extreme

Are these 3 devices what i will need to be able to have a wireless network in my home that doesn't have a wired ISP such as Charter, Uverse, Comcast?

My wife and I are moving into a new home that is in a subdivision that doesn't currently have internet service. Our options are Satellite internet or a Verizon Jetpack Hotspot. I'd like to be able to connect my devices via the Jetpack to the wireless network so i can stream music via my surround sound, get Firmware updates, stream an occasional Netflix movie from my Iphone (unlimited Data Plan). I figure if have a home WiFi network, then i will be able to do these things a lot easier than syncing (up to 10 devices) up to the Jet Pack.

Thoughts on if this will work? Potential Pitfalls?

I have a 20GB monthly plan and only plan to hook up the following devices:

Sony 4k TV

Apple TV

iMac Computer

Surround Sound receiver

2 Wifi enabled Thermostats

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:59 AM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2015 9:06 AM in response to barto1978

Not sure whether the AirPort Extreme will be your main AirPort and AirPort Express will extend the network.....or vice versa.....but whatever AirPort device you choose to run your network, it will require an Ethernet cable connection from the Verizon Jetpack.....which will perform as a "modem" for your network.

So, the first thing to check would be to make sure that the Jetpack can deliver an Ethernet signal. Otherwise, the AirPort will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Jun 30, 2015 9:32 AM in response to barto1978

but read where it has a USB connection which i can use to hook up the hotspot. I will then use an ethernet cable to hook the express to my Airport Extreme.

Unfortunately, what you read was not correct. The USB port on the AirPort Express will only support a USB printer. And, the USB port on the AirPort Extreme will support both a printer and hard drive.

Neither AirPort will support a USB modem. You must have an Ethernet connection from the "modem" to the WAN port on the AirPort that you plan to use as the main AirPort for the network.

For reference, you can confirm by checking Apple's support document on the use of the USB port on the AirPorts.

Uses for the USB port of AirPort Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express - Apple Support

Jun 30, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ugh......This makes me upset then as i thought i had successfully found a work around. Let me ask you this question then...

If i set up my Apple Extreme Base Station and set up WIFI in bridge mode, will i still be able to listen to music in my library and stream movies in my iTunes Library to my surround receiver & TV via Apple TV or will that require an internet connection since it would need data to do so? Will i still be able to print via wifi as well

Jun 30, 2015 11:45 AM in response to barto1978

Can you comment on my previous response in regards to the Wifi network allowing me to stream music/movies (already in my iTunes library) to Apple TV?

Yes you can configure your AirPort Extreme to provide a Wi-Fi network which can be used for streaming between wireless clients including the Apple TV. You do NOT need an Internet connection to do so.

Verizon Jetpack, Airport Express & Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.