Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule not finding NEW TWC Modem-HELP kids need wifi

Hi,

We had an indirect lightning strike a few days ago, Time Warner Cable came out this morning and installed a new modem, we tested it with my Time Capsule 2GB model and it did not work. The technician set the bridge on the modem to ensure the modem would not interfere with the timecapsule, so it is a stand alone modem (Arris DG1670A).

I can connect to the internet via Cat5 from the TWC Modem. The time capsule does not recognize the Internet connection from the NEW TWC Modem.

I did a hard reset this am on the Time Capsule, but still nothing. I also did a firmware update to the Time Capsule, I was seeing three errors, no Internet connection, no DNS and no cat 5 connection. I did manually enter a DNS of the modem and that resolved one of the issues, but still not wifi connectivity.

Help!

Message was edited by: taris128

Time Capsule-OTHER, null

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 8:03 AM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2015 9:01 AM in response to taris128

We had an indirect lightning strike a few days ago, Time Warner Cable came out this morning and installed a new modem, we tested it with my Time Capsule 2GB model and it did not work

Unfortunately, if lightning took out the modem, then it is also possible that it may have affected the WAN port on the Time Capsule as well.

I did a hard reset this am on the Time Capsule, but still nothing.

Try a Factory Default Reset to completely wipe the network settings on the Time Capsule. This will not affect any of the data on the hard drive. To do this.....

Power off the Time Capsule for 10-15 seconds or so

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the Time Capsule

Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Then, power down the Time Capsule again

Perform a complete modem reset by powering off the modem completely for at least 20 minutes. Longer would be better.

After the modem power down period, connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port on the Time Capsule

Power up the modem and let it run for 5 minutes by itself

Then, power up the Time Capsule and let it run a few minutes before you set it up again

Check the Time Capsule for proper operation

You should have a green light on the Time Capsule

Test first to make sure that you can connect your Mac to each of the three LAN <--> Ethernet ports and get an Internet connection that way

Then, test the wireless with the Mac and other devices

Report on any errors that you might see.

Jun 30, 2015 10:17 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I actually did both a hard reset and then a factory default reset, that is when I did the firmware update.

I will try the 20 minute cable modem reset and try another hard reset, fingers crossed it works...if not, I am not sure what I will do as the time capsule is over 2 yrs old and I am not sure if that can be repaired by apple?

It was in a surge protector...lost a tv and other electronics as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Jun 30, 2015 10:55 AM in response to taris128

actually did both a hard reset and then a factory default reset, that is when I did the firmware update.

Then, you would not have been able to even do the firmware update unless the Time Capsule was at least operating close to correctly at the time. Unless you have an intermittent issue.....always tough to troubleshoot.....the modem reset and Time Capsule might allow you to get things going again.

Some ISPs.....like mine......take even longer than 30 minutes to allow a connection to completely reset, so a new fresh IP address will be sent to the modem. Leaving the modem off for a hour or more would be good, if you can.

If the modem and Time Capsule are operating correctly, you should not have to manually enter in any DNS information at all, since that is part of the Internet connection process between the modem and Time Capsule.

Jun 30, 2015 2:35 PM in response to taris128

when you plug the ethernet from the modem to the TC does the ethernet connectivity light come on.. on the port on the TC.. and whatever light is available on the modem.. if not the lightning has blown the WAN port.. but since that is isolated from LAN ports it is likely LAN are ok. Hence you were able to update.

I would get the modem setup in router mode.. then put the TC in bridge mode and use it just for wireless.. you can then use the LAN ports to connect to the modem instead of WAN.. That at least is one way around it.

Otherwise if under warranty just take it back to apple for replacement.

Apr 6, 2016 5:34 PM in response to taris128

After hours with TWC and a few moments with Apple, problem solved.

I set up the new modem as directed, and logged into the new network TC871--etc. with new password from he modem lable. Gouty internet connection, got all my other devices on line--then noticed airport/time capsule would not connect.

Called TWC; they put the modem in "bridge" mode, which discounted the internal router, after resetting everything I was getting nothing--no internet connection, no airport. The walked around eh issue for awhile with not results.

Called Apple.

The problem was I was still condensed to the network the modem/router had created--the TC8* one. Once I got back onto my original network--the same one I hd before, everything was connected and working fine.

I guess the key here is to get TWC to put the modem/router into beige mode before doing anything else.

Time Capsule not finding NEW TWC Modem-HELP kids need wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.