Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple music

I use itunes match. so how can i shuffle songs for an ARTIST (comprising multiple albums) or for a GENRE? I've always used the shuffle feature to listen to a variety of songs from a particular genre or artist ..seems shuffle should be an option for all types of categories (genre, artist) not just a single album. Am I missing something? Or is Apple missing something?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:13 AM

8 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:33 AM in response to ipodphilip

When you are on the "My Music" section, you can tap where it says "Artists" and it will show choices for what to display there (artists, genre, etc). When I choose genre and pick a genre, I do not see a shuffle option. However, in the artist view, when I choose an artist, there is a shuffle option below the artist art and selection pane for all music versus my music.

Jun 30, 2015 10:47 AM in response to ipodphilip

Interesting. Didn't realize it didn't show for all artists. I only tried 2 so must have gotten lucky. Unless we are missing it, I don't know why they would take this option away for genre.

As a work around, you could use iTunes on a desktop or laptop to create a smart playlist for each genre of music in your library. Then you can shuffle that playlist and it will always update the playlist when you add music with the genre in the id3 tag.

Jun 30, 2015 10:54 AM in response to ipodphilip

I don't make playlists as a rule either, but I do make smart playlists from time to time since I only have to create it once and then never touch it again since smart playlists automatically update based on the criteria used to create them. I have one for music not played in the last 30 days so that I can make sure I don't keep hearing the same music. I can always go back to that playlist after listening to something different and never have to worry about hearing music from that playlist that I heard the last time I listened to it.

Jul 1, 2015 1:29 PM in response to ipodphilip

I noticed this straight away as I shuffle all of a genre when I'm at the gym or in a certain mood to hear one type of music.
You can't shuffle genres or artists with multiple albums.

The only work around I've come across is the one already mentioned here by crankerchick - making a smart playlist with your chosen artist or genre.

BUT

This *****.

I don't want to make loads of playlists for each artist I have that has multiple albums when I want to hear them shuffled.

I also don't want to stand in the gym shouting at Siri to play all metal-core music shuffled. (he rarely gets it. he's better at basic genres like just pop. or punk. not pop punk)

Please fix apple

apple music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.