Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

synchronize dv

Hi,

I am using FCPX to edit some footage imported into FCPX from DV tapes. Basically, I am trying to synchronize the tracks and each time I get a mess instead of a proper synchronize.

The DV digitized as quicktime files. In one quicktime file, I might have an entire tape which includes several takes. Another tape that was imported the same way, imported as many seperate files and the third as a few large files each containing multiple takes. Can the synchronize tool break apart these clips on its own and synchronize them? I have tagged each set of files according with a unique camera name, and they were digitized in order, so the dates should be in the correct order. Beyond that, I am not sure what else to do. The synchronized clip comes back with everything incorrect and many layers of files instead of 3 tracks, 1 for each camera.

What can I do to help this process?

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 8:51 AM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 8:58 AM in response to adnanmg

Did you film with several cameras? You probably want a multicam clip, not a synchronized clip. More on this in a moment.

FCP X breaks the DV import into separate clips every time there is a break in the timecode. So for example if one camera recorded several takes continuously and another camera was turned off and on a few times that would explain why one tape yields one clip and another a lot of them.

It seems that more than "Camera Name", it is important that you set the value of "Camera Angle" - usually that is enough to have FCP X correctly figure out to what angle each clip should belong in the multicam.

synchronize dv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.