Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do USB devices stop Macbook Pro entering standby

Hi All,

I tend to put my Macbook Pro Retina 13" (2015 model) asleep whilst on battery power. As I understand it after a couple of hours it should enter a deep sleep standby mode, where it should last 30 days on battery life.

I have been putting it asleep about 1am and waking it up about 5pm and it's lost 10% battery power, which tells me it's not entering deep sleep (and I would like it to).

I was wondering if having a USB bluetooth receiver for a mouse plugged in would prevent it going into this deep sleep, even if the mouse in turned off? I also have a fitbit connect dongle so my fitbit tracker can connect to my PC to upload information, would this also prevent the deep sleep?

Finally, the article mentions setting the Macbook to go to sleep from the Menu, rather than closing the lid. If I set it asleep closing the lid, should it still enter standby mode?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:11 AM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2015 9:27 PM in response to xreyuk

I think the USB receiver for the mouse is why. According to: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202124 Macbook pros will not enter the stand by mode if USB is connected: "Notebooks need to be running on battery power. It also must not have any external connections (such as Ethernet, USB, Thunderbolt, SD card, displays, Bluetooth, and so on)."

I noticed the same "issue" on my 2014 15" retina macbook pro when I started using a logitech keyboard/mouse set with the receiver in one of the USB ports. I say "issue" because I guess it's not really an issue, it was just designed that way. When I remove the receiver, the battery life in sleep/standby improves.

Do USB devices stop Macbook Pro entering standby

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.