Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Update iOS Device without Backing Up?

Okay so I want to update to ios 8.4 but my itunes keeps telling me how I can't update until I backup my device so they advise me to reconnect my device. Dont think it matters but Im using the ipod touch 5th gen. Okay so you guys might tell me to to just back up but I cant. My ipod has very bad hardware failure and I cant find away to fix it. To have apple fix it I should just buy a new one b/c of the price. I dont have the money so I guess Im stuck with this. Wifi cuts off every 15 secs. Reboots alot. Bluetooth doesnt work. Device can not be backed up at all.. No kind of restore can fix these issues. So I was wondering if anyone knows how to update without backing up. I really want the new designed music app for ios 8.4

iPod touch

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:23 AM

1 reply

Jul 2, 2015 10:59 AM in response to TheStonedBuu

Hi there!

It sounds like you need to be able to restore your device without backing it up to iTunes first. I would recommend trying to use recovery mode, that is typically the last resort for issues updating or restoring a device. Keep in mind though that this WILL DELETE ALL THE DATA on your iPod Touch:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

How to Update iOS Device without Backing Up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.