Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3TB HDD Replacement Program

Glad to hear that Apple have taken the initiative to launch a recall program for the affected models, but very disappointed in how it is planned to be handled by the local Apple teams.

I have been a fan of Apple for way too long, and actually believe they are a superior product etc, so when a recall like this is announced I would expect exceptional response to my needs as a customer. Sad to say so far that is not what I have learned or experienced. Which is my reason for this post and to ask if anyone else has received a better level of response and I am an isolated case or is this the future Apple we can expect? In my case the unit is working fine and no issues to date.

Basically nothing against any of the individuals I have spoke with directly, just the expected program. First my local store, where I followed Apples suggestion of making a Genius bar appointment to take in my 27in iMac. Prior to attending I thought about a couple of points, which I thought I would call them on to get answers beforehand:

1. Will they do the repair while I wait or during the day etc.?
  2. Do they have the parts readily available and in stock at the store?
  3. Can I have my old hard drive back to protect my sensitive data etc?

The replies were quite astonishing to me:

• It would take 5 to 7 days to do the repair!
  • We will check our stock when you bring in the computer
  • and no you can’t have the HDD back, unless you want to buy it!

I was taken aback by this attitude, that they are to inconvenience me for over a week, leave my equipment in their hands for a extended period of time, no guarantee of a fix date and best of all, I cannot erase my own data to protect myself.

I then contacted the national technical desk, repeated my questions, who in turn then called another local store (While I waited on the line) and gave me the same response. I asked about talking to someone else about this program and was offered the stores phone number to talk to them directly.

I am really not too sure what to do next. I have a full back up of the HDD via Time Machine, but would you delete it all before you take in the iMac (Data only, but what about my software etc?) and rely on this restore without any old HDD around just in case?

Has anyone got some suggestions on how I should go ahead, or maybe I should just take the risk (if it ain’t broke etc …)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:56 AM

In my dealings with Apple Service I've always been quoted a "safe" repair estimate and Apple has ALWAYS beaten the estimate.

I've never had to wait for parts, I wouldn't expect the 3TB hard drive to be different, see above.

You should always back up your hard drive and erase it BEFORE you take it in for repair. When you get it back you can restore from your backup and be running right where you left off.

Along with the Time Machine I would make a bootable clone and check it before erasing the hard drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 11:56 AM in response to SubiPete

In my dealings with Apple Service I've always been quoted a "safe" repair estimate and Apple has ALWAYS beaten the estimate.

I've never had to wait for parts, I wouldn't expect the 3TB hard drive to be different, see above.

You should always back up your hard drive and erase it BEFORE you take it in for repair. When you get it back you can restore from your backup and be running right where you left off.

Along with the Time Machine I would make a bootable clone and check it before erasing the hard drive.

3TB HDD Replacement Program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.