Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burn songs to cd Apple Music?

Just out of curiosity is it possible to burn the music you stream then save to offline on to cd or flash drive etc? Or how does that work?

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:44 PM

Good question. I don't see any mention of it in Apple pre-release documentation though it has been possible in the past with DRM music Apple sold several years ago. Still it would strike me as incredibly stupid of them to allow it in this situation. As for saving the files themselves, likely you can transfer them by copying but they will require authorized software to play them back, I would guess similar to what you would experience should you buy a movie from the iTunes Store.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 12:44 PM in response to realizment

Good question. I don't see any mention of it in Apple pre-release documentation though it has been possible in the past with DRM music Apple sold several years ago. Still it would strike me as incredibly stupid of them to allow it in this situation. As for saving the files themselves, likely you can transfer them by copying but they will require authorized software to play them back, I would guess similar to what you would experience should you buy a movie from the iTunes Store.

Jul 1, 2015 7:40 AM in response to realizment

Apple music saves "offline" content into the iTunes folder labelled Apple music, in the same way it does for regular downloads, except some very clever protection, they are in a protected .m4p format, which i am finding very difficult to convert. Even if you put these offline songs in a playlist and try to burn to disc, you can't as apple have removed this option in iTunes. Also, if you right-click on the track in "My Music" there is an option to "create MP3 version" but once you click that, a windows pops up stating that this can't be done as the music is protected. So far Apple have done everything they can to prevent the end user stealing the music.

Well played Apple, not for my Traktor dj software to release an update that can read and play these .m4p files......

Jul 1, 2015 7:55 AM in response to davscanlon

I don't think any third party software has been capable of playing DRM media files from Apple. Maybe if it can use some Apple component as a black box from which it is channeling output, but you can bet Apple keeps its decoding software away from others.

I don't have iTunes 12.2 so I don't know about the CD burning feature. Even if it is there you can (as I said earlier) bet it would unlikely to be under the same DRM policy old music purchases had applied to them. iTunes 12 for Mac: Usage rights for iTunes Store purchases - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19639

Aug 22, 2015 7:55 AM in response to realizment

Once you turn on Apple Music subscription, you can add songs (iCloud Status = 'Apple Music') to your library, and you can stream and download them. You cannot burn them onto a CD only if you buy them.

However, if you remove the Apple Music type download and buy the song from iStore, you can manage it 'the old way' including burning it on a CD. Unfortunately, you cannot do this for the whole playlist, but one song or album at the time.

Burn songs to cd Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.