Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last.fm and Apple Music?

I was wondering wether or not there is any info about possibly srobbling to Last.fm with Apple Music both in iTunes on OS X (or any OS for that matter) and Apple Music in iOS? As I use a MacBook Pro and an iPhone, Apples ecosystem is of greater importance to me.

For what I've understood, before Apple Music it has been only possible to scrobble with the help of Last.fm Scrobbler from iTunes on your computer, and I believe it hasn't been possible to link Music in iOS to make scrobbling possible. On Spotify this has been possible since quite a while ago, which is why I fear that I need to stick with them instead of Apple Music. It is very important to me to be able to keep track of my listening and use Last.fm with my music listening services, and I believe (and hope) that I'm not the only one.

If someone has some insights about this, they would be highly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 9:07 AM

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. It should be clear that any scrobbling app (bowtie for desktop, cloudscrob for ios, or the default scrobbler apps by last.fm) will work to scrobble any tracks played from your library. Nothing ever stopped working.

The only thing that's not working is streaming curated playlists. People should stop saying "I've found a fix" in their confusion. There is no fix that anyone can provide for this but Apple. If you like a curated playlist, save it to your library, navigate to your own playlists and play it from there. Any tool you use will then scrobble the plays even if they are not downloaded, so long as they are playing from your library.

I would also disagree that switching back to Spotify is a meaningful solution unless scrobbling is top priority. Spotify has offered a stagnant user experience since it's inception. It's a pain to manage your library especially on the mobile app. It's especially difficult and near unreasonable to play your own files that spotify doesn't offer. The only way to do this is through shoddy workarounds like having them in a pinned playlist. I'd rather patronize a music streaming service that adopts everything users have ever wanted in one package and REQUEST that they add last.fm support.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 9:07 AM in response to AlexOscar

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. It should be clear that any scrobbling app (bowtie for desktop, cloudscrob for ios, or the default scrobbler apps by last.fm) will work to scrobble any tracks played from your library. Nothing ever stopped working.

The only thing that's not working is streaming curated playlists. People should stop saying "I've found a fix" in their confusion. There is no fix that anyone can provide for this but Apple. If you like a curated playlist, save it to your library, navigate to your own playlists and play it from there. Any tool you use will then scrobble the plays even if they are not downloaded, so long as they are playing from your library.

I would also disagree that switching back to Spotify is a meaningful solution unless scrobbling is top priority. Spotify has offered a stagnant user experience since it's inception. It's a pain to manage your library especially on the mobile app. It's especially difficult and near unreasonable to play your own files that spotify doesn't offer. The only way to do this is through shoddy workarounds like having them in a pinned playlist. I'd rather patronize a music streaming service that adopts everything users have ever wanted in one package and REQUEST that they add last.fm support.

Jan 5, 2017 12:14 AM in response to MattF7272

I honestly think one of the reasons is "Last.fm" is a small site. I don't know how many users they have, but it's more popular outside USA (Brazilians seem to love the site). I've been on the site on two accounts since 11-12 years ago and the site have barely updated their features. It's a fun site, but how do you make money?

Sidenote, all music fans should check out Setlist.fm, a place to log all your concerts.

http://www.last.fm/user/VoodooDahl

Jun 30, 2015 12:00 PM in response to AlexOscar

I tried it and it looks like both CloudScrob and QuietScrob can only scrobble a song you have added to your library or have available in your iCloud library via iTunes Match. There is no native Last.FM scrobbling. I REALLY, REALLY want to have one app to use for my huge iTunes library and my streaming but scrobbling is a deal breaker. So looks like I will be sticking with Rdio. What a disappointment.

Jun 30, 2015 12:44 PM in response to Momofunk

Maybe someone will find some workaround, but QuietScrob only scrobbles music that's in your library. So, it will still work with music you own, and it will work with music that you stream if you first press the plus sign to add it to your music. If you don't add it to your music library first, though, QuietScrob doesn't pick it up. Maybe the app's creator (or the creator of one of the other similar apps) will figure out how to make it work with anything that you stream... It's still Apple Music's first day.

Last.fm and Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.