Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about setting up family accounts

For quite some time now, my family (myself, my wife, and my daughter) have been using devices all connected to my iTunes store account.

Originally, when it was just me with one, I had my own iTunes store account, and that was fine. Then when my wife get her iPhone/iPad, we were still in the era before family sharing, so to prevent my wife from having to buy the same apps over again, we used my iTunes store account on her device. That actually has continued to this day, extending to my my daughter's devices.

However, now with Apple music in play, I'm looking to break off my wife's devices (iPhone, iPad Air), and my daughter's (iPhone, iPad Mini) onto their own accounts mostly so they aren't seeing all the music I have.

The questions I have about that are this. If I go and create them their own Apple ID's...

1) Do I then have to go share the specific app purchases one by one from my account to theirs? It doesn't just make all the apps currently on their phone "invalid" (or illegal or unpurchased, or whatever term you want to use)? As my daughter plays games on hers, I'd hate for all her games to suddenly revert to "sorry, you don't own that".

2) More or less the same thing with music? I want to get my music and stations off their devices and go with their own.

I suppose what I'm getting at is if I change their Apple store ID to something of their own and not use mine, I don't want to immediately invalidate all of the content on their devices.

Any thoughts on this? Tkx.

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:54 AM

There are no replies.

Question about setting up family accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.