Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set the titles of tabs to a name rather than the URL?

Lately I've been working on ways to make readable sheet music usable on mobile devices, especially the iPad, and one serious problem I've run into is: Safari (and a few other browsers I've installed) happily download pages which are usually in PDF format, and display them in multiple tabs. But the "title" in a tab is usually the URL, so all that shows in a set of 15 or 20 tabs is the first few chars of the URL's host name in every tab's title. This is pretty much useless when you're looking for a specific piece of music, since the "titles" are usually all identical. You obviously want the music's title there, but I haven't found a way to get that.

Now, if my code sends HTML, it can obviously use the <TITLE> tag. But for non-HTML files (usually PDF), there seems to be no way to override the display of the URL and have an actual title shown. With a few low-quality formats like GIF you can wrap them in HTML, but none of the iOS browsers I've tested will honor an <EMBED> or <OBJECT> tag that links to a PDF file. I do install a PDF reader, usually Acrobat, and sometimes it's even honored and seems to be running inside the browser's tab, but Acrobat doesn't know about the browser's tab and the tab just shows the first few characters of the host name, the same in all the tabs.

So is there a solution that would make the tabs with PDF content contain the contents' names?

(Alternatively, is there a browser for iOS that implementsk the EMBED and/or OBJECT tag? Safari doesn't, and neither do Chrome or Opera or the other browsers I've installed.)

(And it's highly likely that others have asked this question before, but if so, I don't seem to be able to guess the keywords. The ones I've tried get me zillions of hits on how to use tabs or <TITLE> tags or things like that, but don't help with the problem at all. Anyone know of keywords that get something on-topic?)

(Another suggestion is specialized apps, but that would mean a different app for every file format, with no good way to have a "table of contents" for just the music.. The nice thing about browsers to handle EMBED/OBJECT tags is that you can send files in whatever formats you have surrounded by HTML that sets the <TITLE>, and you can scroll the tab titles to quickly locate a particular page no matter what sheet-music format it contains. This works on my Macbook Pro, but not on iPads or iPhones. And my Macbook Pro won't sit on a music stand.. ;-)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:29 AM

There are no replies.

How can I set the titles of tabs to a name rather than the URL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.