Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air mid 2013 cannot update to OS X 10.10.4

Trying to update to new OS X 10.10.4 and AppleStore shows this as one of my 2 updates (other is Apple Video or Movie?) but then it keeps searching for more updates without ever stopping.

Have restarted computer 3 times already, same results.

PLEASE HELP.

MacBook Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:20 PM

20 replies

Jun 30, 2015 12:28 PM in response to evafromsc

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jun 30, 2015 12:30 PM in response to evafromsc

Apps such as Little Snitch, Growl, and MacKeeper,can prevent updates from downloading

Disable anti virus software if installed

Check the firewall in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

Make sure Gatekeeper is enabled

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Make sure either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and identified developers is selected.

If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to proceed.

OS X: About Gatekeeper

Jun 30, 2015 4:03 PM in response to evafromsc

I have exactly the same issue and the same laptop. I already:

- Disabled Antivirus (Sophos)

- Repaired permissions

- Restarted like a hundred times 😝

- Verified disk (normal and recovery mode)

- The app store stays in grey, spinning around, nothing happens.

- Both the combo and the update downloaded don't work: blocked at "Preparing OS X Update", with full blue bar but nothing happens. The log when I try to do the update via the files is:

6/30/15 7:01:02.199 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[501]: Error -60005 creating authorization

6/30/15 7:01:02.278 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[501]: Error: qtn_file_apply_to_path error: Read-only file system

6/30/15 7:01:34.361 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

6/30/15 7:02:10.917 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

6/30/15 7:02:33.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: discoveryd(75) deny file-read-metadata /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security-common.plist

6/30/15 7:02:33.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: discoveryd(75) deny file-read-data /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security-common.plist

I am becoming desperate... sorry! Should I wait for the servers at Apple to be less busy or should I try anything else?

Thx!!

Jun 30, 2015 4:10 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you for your answer.

I updated my previous post with the error I get when I try to update with the combo:

6/30/15 7:01:02.199 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[501]: Error -60005 creating authorization

6/30/15 7:01:02.278 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[501]: Error: qtn_file_apply_to_path error: Read-only file system

6/30/15 7:01:34.361 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

6/30/15 7:02:10.917 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

6/30/15 7:02:33.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: discoveryd(75) deny file-read-metadata /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security-common.plist

6/30/15 7:02:33.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: discoveryd(75) deny file-read-data /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security-common.plist

So, not working 😟

Jun 30, 2015 5:00 PM in response to evafromsc

Here we go.

I took my laptop, my (updated) iPad and my (updated) iPhone 6Plus and decided to go to Apple's Genious Bar. I stopped along the way to check what time they close and, as I only had 1 hour to get there, park the car (not an easy task) and ask my questions, I decided I did not have enough time but would do so in the morning instead.

I came home and turned on my laptop. I went to Apple logo then App Store (now there were 3 updates!) and tried update from there but still no luck.

I restarted computer one more time.

LO AND BEHOLD, when I pressed UPDATE ALL, all 3 of my updates started to download and install.

All updated now but I believe Apple messed all this up as they"bundled" iTunes into the OS X update and that's what may have caused this problem.

Very, very annoying...

Jun 30, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you, Linc.

I did read your instructions and, because of the 453 pages, I did not include any in my reply to your suggestion. It was at that point that I decided to go to Apple, however, if you'll read my comment above, I did not go due to lack of time.

In the meantime, the problem is resolved and I have the 3 new updates already installed.

Thank you.

Jun 30, 2015 7:53 PM in response to Rutolf

A log when I try the combo installer:

6/30/15 10:50:58.193 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[521]: Error -60005 creating authorization

6/30/15 10:50:59.000 PM kernel[0]: hfs: mounted OS X 10.10.4 Update Combo on device disk2s2

6/30/15 10:50:59.421 PM mds[57]: (Volume.Normal:2464) volume:0x7fbbd1858000 ********** Bootstrapped Creating a default store:1 SpotLoc:(null) SpotVerLoc:(null) occlude:0 /Volumes/OS X 10.10.4 Update Combo

6/30/15 10:51:11.282 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[521]: Error -60005 creating authorization

6/30/15 10:51:11.430 PM CoreServicesUIAgent[521]: Error: qtn_file_apply_to_path error: Read-only file system

6/30/15 10:51:13.597 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

Any thought would be more than welcome...

MacBook Air mid 2013 cannot update to OS X 10.10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.