Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook gets incredibly hot while gaming. Is this fine?

I bought a 15" rMBP a few days ago and installed Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp so I can play League of Legends and CS:GO (the only two games I play) on my down time. They both run extremely well on the Iris Pro graphics, and I average over 100 FPS with high settings in both games at 1680x1050.

However, the MacBook gets extremely hot and the fan is very loud when I am gaming. The section above the keyboard is so hot that I cannot touch it while gaming. The fan is loud but that isn't a big deal since I wear headphones.

I just wanted to know, is it a problem if my Macbook runs this hot and I game on it a couple of times a week? I phased out my gaming desktop since I was uncomfortable having a desktop and laptop (I prefer using a single machine) and I only play these two games that aren't very GPU intensive. Will it reduce the life of my computer?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:04 AM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 10:10 AM in response to nfarhadi

Games are CPU/GPU resource intensive applications and much heat will be created which in turn will speed the fan(s) up to dissipate the heat. It become a question of how hot. Download and install iStat menus:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Then you will know how hot is hot.

Be advised that there are thermal shut down circuits that will turn off the MBP before it is damaged due to excessive heat.

Ciao.

Macbook gets incredibly hot while gaming. Is this fine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.