Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot play own music since iOS 8.4 update

Since updating to iOS 8.4 the new music app will only play music I purchased from Apple. All my own music is greyed out. Any ideas how to fix this, or is it a bug?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:52 PM

That happens some times:

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 12:52 PM in response to mrandyc

That happens some times:

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Jul 7, 2015 5:00 AM in response to mrandyc

I had this same issue where I could see all my music but they were greyed out and wouldn't play (except those that were downloaded from iTunes). I tried all of lllaass's suggestions, none of them worked and all of my settings are now reset which is annoying.

But I found a solution. I connected by phone to my desktop and under the music sync options I unselected all off my playlists (and other music) and allowed by phone to sync so that my phone would have no music on it.

I then re-selected all of my playlists and synced my phone again so that all my music would be put back on. And voila! I can now listen to all my music on my iPhone,

Jul 7, 2015 8:26 AM in response to sophie'smum

Just wondering how what yo did is different from this which was included in my previous reply:

To the extreme, this, also included in my previous reply, should have then worked

sophie'smum wrote:

I had this same issue where I could see all my music but they were greyed out and wouldn't play (except those that were downloaded from iTunes). I tried all of lllaass's suggestions, none of them worked and all of my settings are now reset which is annoying.

But I found a solution. I connected by phone to my desktop and under the music sync options I unselected all off my playlists (and other music) and allowed by phone to sync so that my phone would have no music on it.

I then re-selected all of my playlists and synced my phone again so that all my music would be put back on. And voila! I can now listen to all my music on my iPhone,

Jul 7, 2015 1:36 PM in response to lllaass

Same thing for me since the iOS 8 update on my iPod Touch 5th generation, but in my case my music stops at 4:16 minutes. Songs less than that no problem. Songs more than that stops at 4:16.

They (the songs) are all there in iTunes, the entire song, AND they load up fine and play past 4:16 on my iPod Nano 6th generation.

Help??? Thank you!

Jul 15, 2015 2:19 PM in response to lllaass

Hey Illaass, I'm having a similar issue. I recently bought an iPhone 6 and updated to iOS 8.4 and since then I can't play my own music, that I had in my library, unless I have a good 3G signal or connected to wifi. I put the phone in airplane mode and my music just disappears completely from the library. It's almost like I'm streaming my own music. Would the steps you listed above be able to eolve this issue or has someone come across this and solved it differently? Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Cannot play own music since iOS 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.