Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Turn Off iTunes Match in Apple Music

How do I Turn Off iTunes Match in Apple Music?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:37 PM

Hi I'm actually the 1 st person to call with the issue tonight. I been on the phone for 2 hours but they have to have the engineers look at it. So try calling so that they know more people are dealing with the issue. Im suppose to hear back thursday night on what they came up with. Because i don't have a subscription with iTunes match and all this happened when i set up the apple music my phone is downloading movies under the music app smh its crazy

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 7:37 PM in response to bwfc0907

Hi I'm actually the 1 st person to call with the issue tonight. I been on the phone for 2 hours but they have to have the engineers look at it. So try calling so that they know more people are dealing with the issue. Im suppose to hear back thursday night on what they came up with. Because i don't have a subscription with iTunes match and all this happened when i set up the apple music my phone is downloading movies under the music app smh its crazy

Jul 3, 2015 3:08 PM in response to ZackaryScott

Lots of confusion buzzing about this and the answer lies in understanding

the process. Why would iTunes Match show up as you chose the Apple

Music service which takes priority over iTunes Match. Your device can

only operate via one platform at a time. Apple Music and iTunes Match

are completely different as would be witnessed by the cancellation of

Apple Music. Your iTunes Match would then be in place. However, you

chose the service allowing you Leasing rights to stream roughly 30 million

tracks. iTunes Match doesn't need to be present under that service as any

music from your iTunes Match Library is already accessible from the new

service you chose, Apple Music. Remember, this isn't really a cloud storage

service as iTunes Match. It's a streaming service that will take precedent over

iTunes Match until you cancel.

Jul 6, 2015 5:53 PM in response to Brskiz

Apple Music does not take precedence over iTunes Match. The differentiator against literally every other streaming service is the ability to have a unified library between Apple Music and the user's existing library - which includes both files purchased via iTunes and those included via iTunes Match if the user is a subscriber to both services. There are items that are not included in the Apple Music service, e.g. the entire Beatles catalog, that can only be used via Match or a previous purchase through iTunes. For many users, iTunes Match represents the collection of music they have already acquired and Apple Music (Spotify, etc) represents a music discovery service for music they don't yet own, are unsure about, etc.

Jul 6, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Merzky

You indeed understand the two services which is good but if a user is operating both Apple Music and iTunes Match, your overall system is run by Apple Music thereby taking precedent. Example of my beloved Beatles is that I would download that artist via iTunes Match obviously. But here's the precedent part if using both services, say you want Coldplay for offline listening. Since they are part of the Apple Music catalog, I can't pick how it is downloaded meaning using iTunes Match. It would still be downloaded to your device using Apple's DRM protection if your using Apple Music which is a rental streaming service as opposed to iTunes Match which is a storage and access service. But Apple Music controls who each artist is transferred to you device assuming it exists in the 30 million tracks they offer.

Jul 6, 2015 6:31 PM in response to Brskiz

So to clarify the distinctions here, Apple Music and iTunes Match are separate services that can be used independently or complimentary; that comes from Apple themselves. The in dependant part is self explanatory, but the complimentary means that any song that Apple has as part of Apple Music and your exists in your personal library will not be download to you from your iTunes Match. Rather, it will stream or download with Apples format protection (DRM), even if you don't want it to. The caveat is what's not in Apple Music store will download just as it always has. That mean Apple Music is taking precedent, period. I see no difference anyways as long as I have the song I want. So I cancel Apple Music and the DRM songs disappear. Then I simply access it via iTunes Match, DRM free.

Jul 23, 2015 1:37 AM in response to bwfc0907

I also subscribed to Apple Music to try it out. I have a few iTunes store purchases, but the majority of my music comes from CDs I uploaded into my iTunes library. I started listening to music from Apple Music. Whatever device I did this from, they would appear on all other devices.

After a while I noticed on my Mac that all my other music (purchases or uploads) appeared with a little cloud download icon, indicating that they were really in the iCloud as well. Fine I thought.

But then problems happened. I was listening to one album I had uploaded a long while ago from a CD and one track was totally different from the one on the CD. The CD was a live recording. The one I was listening to was a studio recording of the same song. Very different.

A Google search took me to Reddit where a poor guy was complaining that all his live recordings got replaced by studio or other recordings coming from the iTunes store. And there is no solution for removing those versions and replacing them with the originals ...

I still have that CD lying around, so I can upload it again. But I suspect it will be again replaced by the meek iTunes Store version.

Note Check your Apple Music library settings - Apple Support seems to warn you about that. I am not clear what exactly they mean by "replace" vs "merge". But the solution seems to actually turn off the "iCoud Music Library". Alas when I do that, all my non-itunes purchases (= most of my music) disappears! It looks like I need to re-upload everything from scratch (but I no longer have all the CDs).

I tried the approach of forcing a download of my private albums, then turning off the iCloud Music Library. That does not work. The music is still gone.

So the Apple Music Library is a one-way trip. Once you activate it, all your music goes there. There is no way to get it back. The only way to listen to it on your Mac or PC is via iTunes. I am not sure about my iPhone and iPad. On the iPhone they appear to have been all automatically downloaded (but then they were all there in the first place) and for that album I was talking about, it still has the original tracks. Maybe I can recover my music that way by syncing it back with iTunes ?

So, Apple has done it again. It managed to turn a great idea into something confusing and unusable.

I am not sure Apple Music is to blame here. Rather it is the Apple iCloud Music Library. Taking all my music away from my Mac, keeping it in the cloud and preventing me from downloading it again is very bad. Replacing my private songs with new copies is terrible.

So, Apple: please let me get my music back from the cloud. And give me back my original music. And stop replacing my private music with your own copies!

Albert

Aug 21, 2016 6:35 PM in response to Rul0

PLEASE APPLE!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE READ THIS ^^^

Facing the exact same issue. Im interested in Apple Music. Im currently a customer, after being a loyal Spotify listener. I like apple music. I like streaming music within the same app I store my own music on. I like the exclusive releases I have access to. But.. SERIOUSLY what is happening?

I wish I had the power to help fix this issue because it seems so simple. I just have no idea how taking all of my music, attempting to 'match' it, messing with MY files within my own computer, limiting access of original files, limiting access to icloud stored music is the result of the biggest company in any corner of the entire global music industry attempting a streaming service.

The only conceivable answers to the confused/convulted reality of the itunes/original files/apple music/icloud merging situation are actually sort of scary. That laws (maybe?) Protecting music companies, or whatever, are now overbearing the rights I have to music i have purchased? That are stored on my own computer on a supposed 'trusted' service like itunes?

It is truly a weird situation and truly does worry me with the future of technology, intellectual information and security. My music library that I have built onto my computers on itunes throughout the past decade has been damaged, and I do not have any sort of trust with storing my music here any longer. But i simply do not have time to find a new, less convenient program to transfer to. I have a strong connection to my music collection, like many people, and what becoming an apple music subscriber has done to my beloved collection actually depresses me.

I am not informed enough on what the confusion is all over. Im sure it is some sort of strange laws that is behind this, and that scares me. Perhaps Apple Music isnt for people who hobby collecting and listening to music (what an irony).

How do I Turn Off iTunes Match in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.