Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older version of itunes will not read itunes file because it was made with a later version of itunes.

Some time ago on this site I mentioned I was having trouble with an older version of ipod and it was suggested I download an older version of itunes. Well I did that and now can't open itunes because it was made with a later version of itunes. What now?

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1, serial #1C93958U6K2

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 1:51 PM

• Move or rename your current iTunes Library.itl file (default location C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes).
  • Find the dated iTunes Library yyyy-mm-dd.itl file in your Previous iTunes Libraries folder that corresponds to the upgrade from the version you are rolling back to (e.g. if rolling back to 11.4 from 12.x this will most likely be from mid-October 2014)
  • Copy this file to your iTunes folder and rename it iTunes Library.itl
  • Run iTunes - it should load and run OK

Note that your library will now have the content as it was at the time the file in your Previous iTunes Libraries folder was created, and won't contain any additions, deletions, updates or modifications made since that time.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 1:51 PM in response to patriciafromosoyoos

• Move or rename your current iTunes Library.itl file (default location C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes).
  • Find the dated iTunes Library yyyy-mm-dd.itl file in your Previous iTunes Libraries folder that corresponds to the upgrade from the version you are rolling back to (e.g. if rolling back to 11.4 from 12.x this will most likely be from mid-October 2014)
  • Copy this file to your iTunes folder and rename it iTunes Library.itl
  • Run iTunes - it should load and run OK

Note that your library will now have the content as it was at the time the file in your Previous iTunes Libraries folder was created, and won't contain any additions, deletions, updates or modifications made since that time.

Older version of itunes will not read itunes file because it was made with a later version of itunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.