Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what hard drive to replace seagate st31000528as

i was reinstalling iMac due to being a bit slow, when I was formatting drive our electric was turned off while the repaired power lines.

after power returned the drive was reformatted and tried to reinstall Yosemite on our 2012 27 imac

but says during install s.m.a.r.t hard drive fault and to replace hard drive, it won't install.

i have a st31000528as 1tb barracuda seagate inside

what drive can I replace this with? because can find anywhere that sells these

mac mail-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 1:05 PM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2015 4:46 PM in response to rickonhismac

Well, you could if you knew what to do. Installing a hard drive in a 2012 iMac is not a chore for the beginner. It will require some special tools and a working knowledge of how much disassembly is needed to gain access to the hard drive. Apple use special versions of the drives that had a special temperature sensor that would connect through the drive's power connector. You need to use the exact same drive model or another drive that has that sensor. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a special power cable to use. You can find all of this along with installation tutorials from OWC.

Also, for your consideration: If you have a warranty still in effect, then doing this yourself will void that warranty; Apple will no longer provide any support of any kind once you open the case. They will not ever repair it if it ever required repair. If you go through with this, then you will need to provide your own repairs from that point on. This is covered in your warranty.

Jun 30, 2015 7:43 PM in response to rickonhismac

rickonhismac not sure if your iMac s/n is part of this free hd replacement. I received this email from Apple today and plan on scheduling an appt to have my hard drive replaced free of charge by Apple.

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that certain 3TB hard drives used in 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between December 2012 and September 2013.
Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 3TB hard drive. Apple will replace
your hard drive with a new one, free of charge.
Please visit the iMac (27-inch) 3TB Hard Drive Replacement Program page to learn more about the replacement process.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
iMac serial number:
Sincerely,
Apple Inc.

what hard drive to replace seagate st31000528as

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.