Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme changing default host ip address

Hi everyone, I have been trying to setup a default host on my airport extreme (6th generation) with the ip address of 10.0.1.44 using the airport utility application, but every time I click save and then update, I find that the default host ip address has been changed to 10.0.1.253 by itself. If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Airport Extreme 6th Generation-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:03 PM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Mojonater

You need to first of all clear the DHCP table in the AE.. so a simple reboot might be enough.. but if not you are going to need to do at least a soft reset.

You must make sure nothing else has the IP you want to allocate.. clearly it won't work if already in the table.

You must reboot everything at times.. so the computer / device actually gets the IP requested.

So once you do the settings.. restart the whole network in correct order.. ie modem.. AE.. client.. with a few min gap to let things settle down.

Is 10.0.1.253 available in the DHCP pool.. by default apple set to the pool 2-200 so is the IP set statically??

Finally a little trick.

Set the device a static IP of 10.0.1.44.. then assign it by dhcp reservation.. then set the computer / device back to dhcp and it should then stick to 10.0.1.44

It just is a way to make sure the ARP table and the DHCP table work for you.

One PS sub trick.

If this is a Mac computer.. you can do the dhcp reservation by command line.

Use natutil command.

Terminal command to check Apple router status. natutil

natutil -L will set the current DHCP lease to permanent.

Then use the edit function from airport utility to edit the value to 44. Reboot the airport and the computer. It should follow.

Here is one I prepared beforehand.

I ran the natutil -L from the command line.

The computer was configured to the current dhcp lease in dhcp reservations.

Then I get in and edit it.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Note the utility sets the Description so that is not my doing. I would probably fix that to the actual computer name.

Airport Extreme changing default host ip address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.