Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audiobook current time isn't displayed

With today's iOS 8.4 update audiobooks have been moved to iBooks. I have three issues with it.

1. When playing an audiobook the current time is not displayed. The indicator remains at 0 seconds. This also seems to prevent the move forward/back 15 seconds buttons from working.

2. I have to press play multiple times to get the audiobook to start playing.

3. I was thrilled to see that chapters are listed again, but chapter names are not shown. They all appear as "Track 1," Track2," etc.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:58 PM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2015 10:08 PM in response to Mumjo

I've discovered more about the issue. Audiobooks from Audible play fine. Audiobooks made with Audiobook Builder do not. I found that Audiobook Builder created audiobooks include 3 tracks. Sound, Video, and Chapter. The Video track seems to be what causes the problem. To get my current audiobook to play nice with iBooks I downloaded Subler from http://subler.org/ to delete the Video track. I'm hoping Apple fixes this so I don't need to edit all of my books.

1. Make a copy of the audiobook just in case.

2. Open the audiobook in subler.

3. You should see 3 tracks listed. Sound Track, Video Track, Chapter Track. Select the Video Track so it is highlighted (not just checking it's checkbox).

4. Press the "Delete the selected track" button. It's the third button on the menu bar and looks like a "no smoking" sign.

5. At this point you should see just Sound Track and Chapter Track listed. Save the file.

5a. Depending on which version of the audiobook you edited, you might need to add it to your iTunes library again

6. Remove the audiobook from your i-device.

7. Add the audiobook to your i-device.

If you have Quicktime Pro and the older Quicktime Player 7 you can use it to delete the Video track as well.

Jul 7, 2015 7:30 PM in response to stew_graff

Thanks. Great detective work!

Followed your directions, using Subler, and an audiobook I had built in AudioBook Builder, which was having major problems, then started working.

I went to the forums for AudioBook Builder (at splasm.com) and found they are aware of the problems. Their current workaround is...don't add cover art when building an audiobook. You can add it later on in iTunes.

audiobook current time isn't displayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.