Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing with iOS 8.4

just upgraded my iphone & ipad to ios 8.4 and can't seem to use home sharing any suggestions?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:32 PM

19 replies

Jun 30, 2015 3:56 PM in response to whs iii

Has it gone, without warning, without consent?

If that is the case, that's a really Shocking/Heinous/Idiotic/Terrible /Hateful/Execrable/Abhorrent/Distasteful/Stupid thing to do 😠pple.

I can still "share" films/tv from itunes to my ipad, and still control my mac with the "remote" app, so technically it is all working ok.

I suggest visiting your apple store and demanding a refund - in the UK, if you are sold something and it stops working, you can get a replacement or repair. But as they have deliberately removed something they cannot repair it, the only option is a full refund. I realise they will lie to you and say that is not possible, but it is. They broke it, they pay for it.

Oh, and also try getting in touch with your local trading standards.

ipad wifi 3rd gen white with smudges 8.4

Jul 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to whs iii

Same issue. Not impressed. I have my own local library in my home network and I want to access that one, not some online version. If this is the future of content access I don't want it, and I don't appreciate the removal of features yet again Apple, without the ability to roll back. You've lost your way Apple. There are third party apps for the iPhone (well until Apple decides to remove them from the AppStore) that allow you to stream from your local network from non iTunes libraries. The need for iTunes now becomes irrelevant, I might as well purchase my content elsewhere.

Jul 1, 2015 7:15 PM in response to whs iii

I think it stinks that Apple did away with the Home Sharing feature. I play an electric keyboard in the same room as my computer setup -- aka "Home Office." All has been beautiful -- I stream some tune from my iTunes library, my speakers are decent enough, and while the music plays, I'm playing along -- to Elton John, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, whatever. It was SO simple. Now, because Peter will not pay Paul or whatever legal BS is happening, Apple did away with what is such a simple, elegant, what-Apple-should-be-about, feature!! It stinks if I didn't already say that.

Jul 1, 2015 11:00 PM in response to robbiewex

What you, of course, can still do, is to use an other protocol (UPnP/DLNA) for streaming from your itunes library to your iPhone.

I, for instance, have installed AssetNas (dbpoweramp) for OS X on my Mac and connected it to my library.

On the iPhone i'm running mconnect for playback and stream forward to my mediaplayer via airplay.

This works fine!

AssetNAS is available in a free version, very easy to install (5min), fast, supports all the apple formats and runs stable.

It's also available for windows, of course.

Jul 2, 2015 3:57 AM in response to whs iii

I downgraded my iPhone 5s to 8.4. The new Music is horrible.

Can’t use home sharing to my home iTunes library.

How do I upgrade back to 8.3?

When I had 8.3 installed on my iPhone 5s. I could wander around the house and listen to my iTunes library via my Bluetooth headphones and life was good. The only thing missing in 8.3 Music was iTunes Genius.

Please think about your loyal customers and not just how to make a buck!

Apple this is not an upgrade!!! Bring back home sharing!!!

Jul 3, 2015 2:23 AM in response to whs iii

I too found out the hard way - iOS 8.4 REMOVES Home Sharing of music through iTunes library to all mobile devices. let's hope the same 'development is not planned for OS X El Capitan.

To my knowledge this 'development' was not announced by Apple as a consequence of the iOS update.

This may be seen as an 'encouragement' or incentive by Apple to leave users of Apple mobile devices no alternative but to subscribe to the new Apple Music service.

I contacted Apple and was advised to formally request the reinstatement of Home Sharing through this link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

It is my understanding that if enough Apple customers complain and express their disapprobation about the removal of this long standing Home Sharing capability then Apple may consider reinstating it in a future update. We can but complain and hope.

Home Sharing with iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.