Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

physhing email

I received the following email which is certainly a physhing expedition. If it had been from Apple:

• it would have said Dear <my name> not "customer".
  • It would have specified the the Apple ID involved not just "Your Apple ID" .
  • It would have given details of the device used to make the purchase.
  • It would have said "had not previously been associated with that Apple ID" not "has never been used by you before"
  • It would not have made a threat about blocking the account

My wife and I have a number of newer Apple devices and we have gotten legitimate versions of this message a number of times.

If you get a message (even if it looks legitimate), do NOT click any links. Google the Apple site then use the Google search to get into Apple.

Dear customer,

Your Apple ID was just used to purchase "Unapologetic (Album)" by 'Rihanna' from iTunes Store on a computer or device that has never been used by you before.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), OS X Mail and iCloud

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 3:27 PM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks. The links above were useful. I did search the Apple Support Communities but as above I misspelled it physhing so did not find anything 😕

Funny thing, above your message is "Forward the email to..." but in the email I received from discussion-updates@apple.com you said "Send an email to..."

From now on I will forward the email so Apple can see the links, etc. In this one, the entire message was actually a big link. I tried to copy the text but it immediately connected me to some website. I closed the page before it finished downloading so I hope I haven't compromised myself 😟

BTW, the items I listed are also legitimate. I got them by going back through more than a dozen legitimate new device emails from Apple. All my "It would..." items are consistent in legitimate messages.

Thanks again.

physhing email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.