Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store hangs on Checking for Updates - 10.10.3

On my MBP 15 Retina the App Store either displays a blank, grey page or if I can get to the Updates it just keeps showing the spinner and never completes the task.

This morning I delayed the Restart after 10.10.4 downloaded (10.10.3 installed) while I finished a task. Restarted manually and the update did NOT install (still running 10.10.3). Now the App Store won't find the update at all.

I tried creating a new Admin account, deleting prefs for the App Store, nothing worked so far.

I know the servers are probably getting hammered, but an iMac also on my desk saw the update and installed without issue. One computer fine, the other not.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 5:51 PM

Had the same problem, and this is what solved it for me:

Open Activity Monitor.

Find the process namned "softwareupdated", which is probably using a lot of process power and memory. Force quit this process.

Done - the system should now tell you that it is about to restart in 1 minute.

6 replies

App Store hangs on Checking for Updates - 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.