Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted all backups. Why does iCloud say I still have 1.3GB in backups?

My iCloud storage values didn't add up, so I decided to delete all of the backups (I still have them locally, you can breathe out).

After doing this however, iCloud still reports 1.3GB being taken up by "Backups". Why is this?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:36 PM

13 replies

Jul 3, 2015 6:36 PM in response to voncaron

I got through to Apple support, and after a lot of talking to different people it was escalated to engineering.

After a few days the response I got is that because I upgraded to iOS 9 beta on my iPad (I'm a developer), and they don't support betas, they won't look into it further. They also said the backup they can see on their end is from my iPad and is dated around the time I installed the beta, so makes sense.

I'm restoring now back to iOS 8 to see if the backup shows up again in settings. Will keep you updated.

Jul 3, 2015 10:35 PM in response to JeremyTM

I now have iOS 8.4 on my iPad, and the problem still exists. No old backups are appearing.

In the process, I also worked out that the "invisible" backup, which they can see but I can't was made 2 days before I installed iOS 9 beta, so the beta can't be a factor.

I have forwarded this information to Apple and await their response.

Jul 9, 2015 5:05 PM in response to JeremyTM

Ok, so they've confirmed that it's definitely because I installed the iOS9 beta. Even though I reverted to iOS8, iOS9 at some point caused the old backup to enter a 'limbo' state.

They say they will support this by the time iOS9 is released, so we just have to wait. I have a feeling they'll resolve it in one of the upcoming beta releases though.

I hope this helps someone else 🙂

Oct 22, 2016 8:02 PM in response to JeremyTM

Hey guys, recently I have this issue too.

I have tried deleting and turn off icloud backup to see if the "invisible" backup would be gone, but it didn't.

I have tried on my phone, mac book, and even pc to solve the problem but unfortunately they are not working at all.

I'm using Iphone 5S with IOS 8.4, hope that someone can solve my problem. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2016 5:13 AM in response to Eric Root

No I didn't. But I have solved this problem, I just upgraded to the latest version of IOS and deleted my backup and run everything again and the "invisible" backup just disappeared.

But another problem just arose, which is my whatsapps backup which it is stuck when backup-ing the chat ( I don't know if I should ask here but it is link with icloud drive perhaps?) It just keep roaming and won't do the backup.

I deleted all backups. Why does iCloud say I still have 1.3GB in backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.