Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"No bootable device" error while attempting to install Windows 8 via USB.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, with 8GB of RAM running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. I am using a PNY 16GB flash drive to install Windows 8. I have no issue running through BCA, but each time Windows is installed, I find the error of "no bootable device." I have done a fair amount of research, but none of the discussions I have found have helped fix my issue.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:18 PM

8 replies

Jul 1, 2015 2:40 AM in response to Loner T

It is indeed a USB 2.0. I forgot to add, I have used this drive to install a previous version of Windows in the past and it has worked. I received the copy of Windows for free as it is something I need for some college courses I am taking. The file, when dowloaded, reads the name, "Windows 8 (x64) - DVD (English)." Do you think my issue could be that the file requires to be installed through a DVD rather than a flash drive?

Jul 1, 2015 4:10 AM in response to charlestollejr

A 2012 MBP will allow either an ISO+USB or DVD based installation. If you run BCA and see an option to create a USB installer and your Mac has an Optical drive, either method will work. Can you verify the integrity of the iSO file with the source using Microsoft FCIV tool or any other tool which can generate MD5 or SHA1 for the ISO?

Jul 1, 2015 11:12 AM in response to charlestollejr

This is the MD5 of the file that you have. The source from where you obtained the file should have an authoritative MD5 as well. These should match. If they do not, then the version you have is corrupted during the download process.

You can run md5 using the OSX Terminal command openssl md5 <FileName> without using any third party utility.

"No bootable device" error while attempting to install Windows 8 via USB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.