Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Family Plan not working on family members devices

I've updated to 8.4, and set family sharing on for one family member, and subscribed to the family plan for the new music service.

However when the family members launches music app, she is prompted to sign up for the trial - but she should have access to the Music Service by the family plan I purchased.

What am I missing here?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 3:15 PM

18 replies

Nov 2, 2017 10:33 AM in response to R0CKY

I tried a few things and none of them worked. Finally from my iPhone I stopped sharing with my wife, then I added her back in with Family sharing and then when she went to Apple Music it could see she was on family sharing. I think the issue for me was I started family sharing before doing the Apple Music subscription and there is a bug in Apple's software.

Jul 1, 2015 11:47 AM in response to R0CKY

Same here, only difference being that at first it worked, my wife account was able to play music. Then I noticed the library was not there and I went to settings to disable iCloud library so I could try turn it back on to see if that would make any difference. Well it did, now my wife is not able to play from apple music at all but is asked to start a trial of her own. And the iCloud library toggle button disappeared from settings.

Jul 1, 2015 2:43 PM in response to R0CKY

I have the same problem. Four devices, all on iOS 8.4. Two are mine and two belong to my wife. Each of us using our own apple IDs, both belonging to a family. The only way to make the three month trial prompt go away is to sign out of her ID on her device in Apple music and to login with mine. Of course this means that anything she listens to or favourites impacts my profile. Obviously it isnt supposed to work this way...

Jul 1, 2015 7:03 PM in response to R0CKY

I have the exact same issue. My family coordination account is also the account with which I established the Apple Music Family Plan.

For some of my family plan accounts, Apple Music works, and for others it doesn't. I'm on the phone right now with Apple iTunes support.

The support person is indicating that only the coordination account has Apple Music enabled. That means that Family members (where the coordinating account has an active Apple Music Family Plan) are not all receiving their Apple Music membership.

Come on Apple... you've had long enough to make the subscriptions work with the Family arrangement.

Jul 1, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Dan-in-Virginia

I figured out the solution to my issue.

Account A: Coordination Account (this was the account I used for myself and my wife--for years--for shared iTunes purchases).

Account B: my account (iTunes purchases pointed to account A)

Account C: my wife's account (iTunes purchases pointed to account A)

Account D: family account 1 (iTunes purchases pointed to account D)

Account E: family account 2 (iTunes purchases pointed to account E)

Account F: family account 3 (iTunes purchases pointed to account F)

Account A held the Apple Music Shared Family Plan.

Account A, D, E, and F worked fine. Account B and C were not recognized.

Solution: Changing the iTunes Billing Account (under Family Plan management for accounts B and C) away from Account D and to B and C respectively, solved the issue. It should not have to be this way.

Jul 1, 2015 8:27 PM in response to Dan-in-Virginia

Correction:

I figured out the solution to my issue.

Account A: Coordination Account (this was the account I used for myself and my wife--for years--for shared iTunes purchases).

Account B: my account (iTunes purchases pointed to account A)

Account C: my wife's account (iTunes purchases pointed to account A)

Account D: family account 1 (iTunes purchases pointed to account D)

Account E: family account 2 (iTunes purchases pointed to account E)

Account F: family account 3 (iTunes purchases pointed to account F)

Account A held the Apple Music Shared Family Plan.

Account A, D, E, and F worked fine. Account B and C were not recognized.

Solution: Changing the iTunes Billing Account (under Family Plan management for accounts B and C) away from Account A and to B and C respectively, solved the issue. It should not have to be this way.

Jul 2, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Dan-in-Virginia

Got only one payment type on my family account so couldn't try switching it to another but toggled parent on/off on my wife's account and it is now able to play music. So all of you who have this problem, try poking around there in the family settings 🙂 to see if it makes a difference.

The library still doesn't work though on any iOS device not on my own account and not on my wife's account. It works on iTunes on my MBP (the actual library being on Mac Mini at home)

Jul 3, 2015 8:08 AM in response to cuetus

So signed my wife out of apple id in music, end tasked the music, then I turned off parent approval as mentioned above and back on, then relaunched music, signed in with same apple id and then went to the For You tab on bottom left, it then said enable instead of activate 3 month trial and it looks like she is now associated in the 3 month trial. Next step is to test with the kids and see how they work. Hope this helps someone as it was very frustrating.

Oct 21, 2016 2:05 PM in response to R0CKY

Ive been having this same issue. Wife has been on my family sharing since day one but she just told me that Apple Music wouldn't work for her. Here's a possible solution that I found.

-Force close the Music app

-Go into iTunes & App Store and Sign Out on the family member's device.

-Go into Music and disable Show Apple Music

-Restart and go back into iTunes & Appstore (Sign In) then back to music and enable it

This solved the issue for me. Now my wife is listening to something stupid.

Oct 25, 2016 10:15 PM in response to R0CKY

I Had the same proble, i was part of the family group that had the Apple Music family plan But wouldn't let me use Apple Music when I would go to the Apple music settings it would only give me the option to join my own plan so what I did after a long time of trying to fix the problem I thought to myself Screw it I'm going to buy a plan for myself so when I try to buy it it's stopped me and told me that "you are already part of a family plan that had Apple Music and if I still wished to continue" I clicked cancel and it backed me out and it automatically connected me to Apple Music. Im so happy, I hope this helps anyone that has the same problem

Music Family Plan not working on family members devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.