Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download previously purchased content in a lower resolution?

I bought an HD movie from the iTunes Store and downloaded the HD version to my iMac. I want to download a lower rez version as well for my iPad and iPhone. Does iTunes Store allow this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iMac 14,2 / 3.5GHz Intel Quad Core

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:29 PM

I asked this originally so I can play all my movies on my iPad Air, not just low rez movies.

On my Mac in iTunes 12, turn on HomeSharing. On my portable device, go to Settings/Video/Home Sharing. Make sure the Apple IDs match main computer w device. Open the Apple Videos App on the portable device. Look at the top for SHARED. Select an HD movie and PLAY HD.

WORKS beautifully.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 6:29 PM in response to blackxacto

I asked this originally so I can play all my movies on my iPad Air, not just low rez movies.

On my Mac in iTunes 12, turn on HomeSharing. On my portable device, go to Settings/Video/Home Sharing. Make sure the Apple IDs match main computer w device. Open the Apple Videos App on the portable device. Look at the top for SHARED. Select an HD movie and PLAY HD.

WORKS beautifully.

Jun 30, 2015 7:31 PM in response to blackxacto

iTunes: Purchasing and viewing HD videos - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3209 - "When you purchase an HD video on a supported device or computer, only HD video will be downloaded. To download the SD version, you need to download the video again from your Purchased page." Other details about which formats are downloaded and when.

To set to download to HD: Preferences > Store > change your preferred HD format to 1080p.

To download as SD uncheck "Download HD when available"

How do I download previously purchased content in a lower resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.