Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAT and Private IP

Hi,

I have a Time Capsule and a Wireless routed provided my Internet Company. I want to configure a NAT In the Time Capsule (TC), but after I configure the TC the ORANGE light apearse..... How do I can't avoid this "problem" ??

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 3:58 PM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 4:10 PM in response to schul

The modem/router that your ISP provided to you is delivering what is known as a "private IP" address. In order for the Time Capsule work correctly as a router, it needs a "Public IP" address which your ISP router cannot deliver......unless.....it can be reconfigured to operate as a simple modem....and not a router.

Another option.....if you want the Time Capsule to provide routing services for your network.....would be to replace the modem/router that you have now with a simple modem only.....assuming your ISP offers that as an option.

You are seeing a Double NAT issue at the present time because both your ISP router and the Time Capsule are set up to act as routers on the same network.

You only want one device to act as a router on the network, so you need to configure the Time Capsule to operate in Bridge Mode to avoid the Double NAT issue and possible IP address conflicts with two devices both providing DHCP IP address services......unless.... the modem/router that you have now can be configured as a simple modem. or you replace the device with a simple modem. Then.....the Time Capsule can act as the router for your network providing DHCP and NAT services.

User uploaded file

NAT and Private IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.