Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 auto-start up broken

Strange since I installed iTunes 12.2., the app does not auto-start up when a iPhone or iPad is connected to my Mac. I do hear a chime when both devices are connected though.

- iTunesHelper file is still visible in System Prefs/User &groups/Login items.

- when connected both iPhone and iPad are visible and "Open iTunes when this iPad is connected" and "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" checkboxes are both checked

Rebooted and the also toggled above checkboxes.

Not a big deal but any help is appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 4:52 PM

18 replies

Jul 4, 2015 12:31 AM in response to cmplsn69

I suspect it's a problem with iTunes 12.2 too and not iOS because I have this problem with an iPod Touch running iOS 5.1.1 but it works fine with my iPod Classic running 2.0.4!

cmplsn69 wrote:

Yesterday night I upgraded iTunes and noticed the problem but did not worry since in the past that issue happened during upgrade and I solved just quitting & restarting iTunes and/or OSX.

Right, same here. The last time I had this problem it affected all of my iPods but I was able to fix it by rebooting my Mac. This time, no such luck. It still affects my iPod Touch. And it looks to be a common problem. Here are three more threads with this issue:

cmplsn69 wrote:

I just left a feedback on https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Excellent advice! 😎

Brian

Jul 7, 2015 4:25 PM in response to mgshoutman

I commented in another thread what worked for me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7110128 which was: Here is what worked for me in Yosemite 10.10.4: iTunes 12.2.0.145 is not running Connect my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.4) via USB Open Image Capture In the dropdown to select what the connected device opens I chose "Other..." navigated to iTunes in the Application Folder and this has produced successful and repeated launching of iTunes whenever I connect my iPhone.

Jul 22, 2015 11:17 AM in response to mgshoutman

I am seeing the same behavior on all my Macs with iTunes 12.2. I replaced iTunesHelper in the 12.2.1.16 version of iTunes with the one from iTunes 12.0.1.26 (got it from my Time Machine backup). Auto open now works when my iDevices are attached.

Just make sure the iTunes app is closed and iTunesHelper is not running (quit the process in Activity Monitor) before you replace it.

iTunes 12.2 auto-start up broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.