Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my itunes is falsely recognizing my iphone as a new phone and wants to set up new or restore from an old backup. how do i sync and backup the data currently on my iphone without losing anything?

I have had my current iPhone for a while. When I plug it into my Mac, iTunes gives me the option to set it up as a new iPhone or restore from last backup (which was in January). I plan on getting a new iPhone in the next week and want to have my current phone backed up to iTunes before I do that. Is there anyway to sync my current phone to iTunes without losing any current data?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:22 PM

1 reply

Jun 30, 2015 11:17 PM in response to lydiah42

Try the instructions on this page : Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

Some of the steps on that page have changed slightly (it was written for a previous version of iTunes) :

5, is now File > Devices > Transfer Purchases

6, 'Reset Warnings' at the bottom of the phone's Summary tab in iTunes

7, File > Devices > Back Up

8, File > Devices > Restore from Backup (or Restore Backup button on the Summary tab)

my itunes is falsely recognizing my iphone as a new phone and wants to set up new or restore from an old backup. how do i sync and backup the data currently on my iphone without losing anything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.