Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Website says 12.2 Available, iTunes Check For Updates Empty

On the iTunes website, Apple says that iTunes 12.2 is now available for download. However, in iTunes on my Windows PC, when I go to Help>Check for Updates, it does not have 12.2. (It just says 12.1.2 because I haven't updated to that version yet.)

Is anyone else having this issue?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 5:57 PM

6 replies

Jun 30, 2015 6:02 PM in response to thomasdangit

AFAIR the three ways to check for updates (Help > Check for Updates, Apple Software Update, website) don't always change at the same time. I was able to d/l the 12.2 installer from the website even though Help > Check for Updates was still reporting 12.1.2 to be the current version.

For those preparing to install the update, note that 12.2 modifies the database structure (first update to do so since 12.0) so its definitely advisable to take a backup of your complete library before installing the update.

Jun 30, 2015 6:26 PM in response to thomasdangit

Installing from the website will uninstall a previous version and install 12.2. I've done this on one system so far (Win 7, 32-bit) but will run this for a week or so to check stability before updating on others (Win 7/64, Win 8.1/64).

The risk of your database being corrupted is low - I've never experienced it myself, though others have reported it. Nonetheless I'd recommend taking a backup of your library before installing 12.2 - see turingtest2's user tip on Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a recommended method. Doing so for an update that modifies the database structure is particularly important as it eases the process of rolling back to the previous version of you encounter problems with the update (or simply don't like it).

Website says 12.2 Available, iTunes Check For Updates Empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.