Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not find my templets

Usually when in Pages to find my templets, or any past document I clicked OPEN and from there I could find those. Now when I click OPEN in Pages, it's gone. It just gives me a list of folders in my hard drive. How do I resurect this window/lists? I have Mac OS 10.10.3. And Pages version 5.5.3. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion, MacBook, 2.2 GHZ, iPhone 4 Verizon,

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:21 PM

Provided that you are not defaulting to a custom template on launch, Pages v5.5.3 will present a File chooser window, either from the File ▸ Open menu, or simply by launching the application. In either case, there is a New Document button in the lower left corner of the File chooser window. Click that New Document button, and the Template Chooser will appear.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Christian Joffson

Provided that you are not defaulting to a custom template on launch, Pages v5.5.3 will present a File chooser window, either from the File ▸ Open menu, or simply by launching the application. In either case, there is a New Document button in the lower left corner of the File chooser window. Click that New Document button, and the Template Chooser will appear.

Jul 1, 2015 12:49 PM in response to VikingOSX

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Everything worked as you said it would. BUT, under My Templets it is only listing documents I wrote in 2012 and 2014. My current 2015 are not there. I know the name of at least one of the missing letters, and a search with Search Light did not bring it up. The documents have disappeared. This is really bad. I have no idea where Pages put them, and why. Any ideas?

Jul 1, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Christian Joffson

If you launch Pages '09, only the custom templates saved by it will be in its template chooser. When you update to Pages v5.5.3, it will convert compatible Pages '09 templates, and then store them in a Pages v5.5.3 specific template location below. This is true for new, custom Pages v5.5.3 templates that you create too.

Because Pages '09 has 100+ more features than Pages v5.5.3, there is a high probability that very few of your custom Pages '09 templates were converted.

The Pages v5.5.3 templates are stored in the following location. You will have to right-click on com.apple.Pages, and choose Show Package Contents as it is a package folder.

<home directory>/Library/Containers/com.apple.Pages/Data/Library/Application Support/User Templates

Jul 4, 2015 10:06 AM in response to VikingOSX

Again, thanks for your reply, and taking the time to do it. So basically the current version of Pages ***** big time, and is a major step down from what we had before. That's bad.

I am not sure where to find the files you said should be under home directory> etc. Where exactly will I find the home directory? And then the next layers of files? Please forgive my ignorance. I have been an Apple guy since 1983 exclusively. But the lack of documentation that is now standard with every upgrade, renders me almost ignorant with some Mac issues. Thank you so much.

Jul 4, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Christian Joffson

Whether one is using Pages '09 or Pages v5, the applications themselves will present the contents of your custom templates to you. Time Machine will capture these template locations during a backup. The templates are not interchangeable between applications.

If you have always used the Finder, and have had no reason to use the Terminal application, then the notion of home directory, and the UNIX filesystem path syntax that I provided earlier would be confusing. The home directory is where you are when you first [auto]login, and the view that you have on launch of a new Finder window. The Desktop, Documents, Library, Movies, Music, etc are all children folders in your home directory.

If you are near a book store, you might consider the David Pogue missing manual series a grounded source of documentation on how to use OS X. With each release of OS X, he introduces a new book covering that respective operating system features and how to use them. These books are also on Amazon. Here is one for Yosemite, and with the advent of OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), you can expect a new book for that release.

Jul 6, 2015 8:11 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks so much Viking. I really appreciate your all encompasing explanations, and directing me to the right resources. I will wait till they come out with the next OS, and then I will get the new book. I never knew about these books, and I am sure that it will be a valuable tool. The missing manuals, I love it... I checked that you resolved my issue, and again thanks so much. Chris.

Can not find my templets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.