Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is home sharing all gone in IOS 8.4?

Apple did you remove Home Sharing in IOS 8.4?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:13 PM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2015 2:20 AM in response to Viking1986

Seriously, I would love to know as well, I have just upgraded my iPad (fortunately only the iPad thus far) to iOS 8.4 and first thing I have also noticed in the new Music app was that there's simply no option to access my home iTunes library anymore, no Home Sharing option under Settings either. I'm not going to upgrade iTunes on my Mac mini to 12.2 unless I understand what's going on here, I seriously fear this new version will mess up my huge library that took me years to build. Also, if this means Apple got rid of Home Sharing only to force people to start using Apple Music, then I'm afraid they'll have tons of angry customers starting today.

Jul 1, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Viking1986

I had the same problem today with my new macbook. Homesharing is still there but somehow is turned off in the update. On mac and pc go to preferences under file for pc and under iTunes on mac. Then click sharing preferences on both computers and check share library on local network. This fixed my problem and took three advisors to figure it out. Hope this helps!

Jul 1, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Viking1986

Looks like this feature was very quietly removed in iOS 8.4, to help push Apple Music subscriptions.

The Home Sharing support article was just modified on June 30th, and no longer has ANY mention of using Home Sharing for Music on iOS - with Apple TV being the only exception. Home Sharing now only works with video for iOS. If you notice, under iOS settings, the Home Sharing login was completely removed under Music, but remains under Videos.

If you plan on subscribing to Apple music, I suppose it doesn't make a difference since your library is already there anyway...but this is a major bummer for those not using Apple Music!!!

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices on your home network - Apple Support

Jul 2, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Viking1986

This fix worked for me -- I updated my (Early 2008) Mac and checked to make sure my Apple TV had the latest software. (the ATV reported the software was up to date)

In the "General" menu I scrolled down to RESTART on the Apple TV.

Waiting for the Apple TV to reboot completely, opened iTunes on My Mac. (made sure Home sharing was turned ON on both the Mac and the Apple TV)

Main Menu of Apple TV, clicked on Computers, all my Music and Video was ready to play.

Hope this helps.

Jul 2, 2015 2:21 PM in response to patrickgreen51

The saddest thing here is that Apple doesn't even need to worry about all of us complaining here or in any other forum. This is a well calculated move from their end and they know that even if they lose thousands of customers who cared about their home libraries, it will be far outweighed by the millions who don't care about their own music all that much and will sign up for Apple Music no matter what. Let's face it - we are the minority in this case and Apple knows it. Maybe it's time to return to the iPod classic or buy a cheap Android/Windows phone with 128 GB memory card and store all of our music there...

Jul 2, 2015 9:38 PM in response to pepe779

Good Morning!

Same like you I'm currently exploring the new iTunes and iOS8.4 release. There's quite some things which I rate as VERY disappointing!

😠 Home Sharing w/ music is not working any more - I WANT IT BACK!

😠 If you delete items on your device, which you actually bought in the past, w/ activated Apple Music/iCloud-Music Library, those items are removed from your list of bought items, so you cannot re-download them any more. Those things are the ones which make you, Apple, loose the people which bought music in the past! I'm not gonna pay >100€ per year for stuff I already bought in the past!

😐 The plan seems to be that Audiobooks are hosted w/ iBooks in future (at least on iOS devices). The good might be that sorting will be possible per alphabetical order again in future and iBooks on iOS is not regarding audiobooks w/ separate files for chapters as multiple books any more. The downside/problem might be how this is to work w/ managing Audiobooks/edit the tags because iBooks is currently not capable of doing that - so far this can still be done w/ iTunes! Also, how is a streaming device to know that the audiobooks are available, when they're not in the music library any more? - Well Apple was pointing strongly to Continuity and everything and all devices looks the same - Well right now it is VERY confusing and not thought through to the end!

By all innovation and new stuff you folks at Apple put together, you should also LISTEN to the USERS!

Jul 3, 2015 3:19 AM in response to Viking1986

Same here, home sharing all gone. And now audiobooks are shunted over to iBooks - I used to be able to listen to music, podcasts and books in one app, now it's three. Having been a Mac user for over 20 years I used to think that Apple prided itself on its simplicity and economics of its OS systems and applications, but now they seem to be going all Microsoft and overegging everything.

Jul 3, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Viking1986

Anybody angry about the removal of Home Sharing for music should shout as loudly and as widely as possible, to make it clear to Apple that ditching a much-used feature without any warning is unacceptable, and also to put pressure on them to reinstate Home Sharing in future releases.

If the removal of Home Sharing for music affects you, please:

It's unlikely that anyone from Apple monitors these communities, so we need to cover all the other bases. This is an uncharacteristically terrible move by Apple, and it should be highlighted as much as possible.

<Edited By Host>

Is home sharing all gone in IOS 8.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.